M14 Forum banner

Best Variable Scope with 7.62 BDC?

19K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BlackArrow 
#1 ·
I'm looking for something in the range of a 1x-4x or a 2x-6x variable to go on a "do everything good enough" M1A Scout (mounted traditionally, not with the Scout forward mount).

I really like the reticle type on the Leupold Mk4 MR/T that has a larger donut/dot and a Bullet Drop Compensator built in. But I'm coming up short looking for different manufacturers and models that have the BDC for 7.62x51 and not 5.56.

I'm also going for rugged field use, so I'm willing to spend a little more and don't need a $300 piece of glass.

So what should I be looking at? Thanks for your help.

#3 ·
Variable Scout Scope

I went with the Burris 1.5-6X40. The BDC in the reticle is the same for the 7.62 and .223 out to about 700 yards. The paperwork that came with my scope explained all of this in detail. Some guys don't like the Burris because the lighted area isn't bright enough. You don't really need it unless you are in low light conditions, IMHO. I rarely turn it on.

Anyway, I am attaching some pictures for your review. I am happy with my set up. I am sure others with more experience will comment, too.

#6 ·
I was under the impression the MR/T was for 5.56? I know everyone says it's basically "close enough out to 500", but there are big differences from there and I know some scopes you can get BDC for 7.62 specifically.

If they make a MR/T for 7.62, then I'll be a happy camper!

#7 ·
Per the Leupold website: http://leupold.com/tactical/product...copes/mark-4-2-5-8x36mm-mrt-m2-illum-reticle/

"Engraved Bullet Drop Compensation dial for 7.62mm/.308 win."

I have been looking at these for hours upon hours the last few weeks. From everything I have read, the standard BDC for this scope is for the .308. However, you can select other calibers for the dials if you want I do believe.

This is the scope I plan to buy as soon as my dealer gets back with me.

#9 ·
I wouldn't worry about BDCs at all. I have a Leupold Mk4 LR/T that came with a .308/168gr BDC and I swapped it out for a turret set for .30-06/180gr BDC because a friend of mine came up with a handload that - in his M1A/Loopy - matched it spot on. Running the same handload recipe, neither BDC is spot on for me, so I just shot the gun enough to learn the dope in MOA, which is the other scale on the turret.

So that's my point... a BDC will match some specific ammo but, chances are, not your ammo. So use MOA, Mils, whatever makes sense to you and go learn the dope for your scope & ammo.

As always, YMMV. DI5

#10 · (Edited)
The Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x36mm MR/T M2 Illum reticle riflescope is on my Smith Ent. 18.5" M14 with BDC 168 grn 7.62 and it's spot on to 700 meters.

I used it on my rifle at Gunsite Academy Battle Rifle course Sept and October and it did great from room clearing to long range shooting. My ammo was Federal American Eagle 168 grn OTM for M1A and it helped certify me with an M14. I was fortunate to have a long range shooting coach, Larry Landry, who helped me zero the rifle at 300 meters. Once the rifle was hitting center mass on a human silhouette, I loosened the elevation cap and set the indicator on 3. I noticed the point of impact tracks about 1inch low from bullseye when I dial down to 1 on a 100 yard range. However, this can be expected with a shorter barrel. I could chrono my rifle and send the numbers to Leupold for a truly custom BDC dial, and if I get bored I may later, but I was hitting everything I aimed at and this is not my sniper rifle, so I was happy.

I used a GDI mount so I could get the scope closer to my eye and it was great.

My two cents + personal experience = a nickel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.