M14 Forum banner

Best state or states for gun owners ?

6K views 112 replies 61 participants last post by  highlandfarmer 
#1 ·
Hi guys , which state is gun friendly?
I decided to move all my business to US from Canada by the end of Oct.

#3 ·
Florida, Mississippi. One has 20+ million folks, is widely varied demographically, is "rich." No state income tax and 100% unlimited homestead exemption from forced sale. The other is "poor." Almost 40% African American but, except for the combat zones, metro Jackson, metro Memphis, the very poor black majority Delta communities, the various communities live in a kind of harmony that is difficult to describe and quite opposite what the mainstream media portrays. Also widely varied demographically. Chinese, Jewish, Syrian and Lebanese settlements from the 19th century no longer exist as insular communities, but those folks did not leave -- point being, there's room for everybody. But we're the poorest state . . . why would anybody move here? Two reasons: the feds subsidize the place like a third world country, and there is unlimited opportunity for education, professional training, self-advancement. Oh, and you can get four seasons if you move far enough north.

#5 ·
I'm in South Carolina and it's probably one of the top 2A supporting gun friendly states. We have a bunch of firearms manufacturers that have moved here because of our laws and stances on firearms. There are even laws exempting firearms made in this state from any federal confiscation or over reach (for whatever good it would do) we also have one of the lowest costs of living in the country. If you are a business, contact South Carolina department of Commerce. There are multiple incentives available with the move and ongoing economic development. Opportunity zones with extra incentives. We also have a large Canadian community here in Horry County.

My wife and I are Realtors and if you're serious, we can talk any time and I can get you numbers and contacts with Commerce and the Technical college system for training incentives for workforce.

#6 ·
#43 ·
New Hampshire is a constitutional carry state with similar climate to what you’re used to

True, but we also have to consider population's view of self-defense.

This matters because, in the unfortunate event of having to shoot someone in self defense, view of the jury pool determine your fate. A pool sympathetic to those being forced into shooting an attacker makes a huge difference. In Georgia, people generally think, "you gotta do what you gotta do." In Massachusetts, especially in urban areas, people will generally clutch their pearls at the fact that you had a gun in the first place.

In cases with the same facts, Georgia likely will not even charge, but Massachusetts will take it to trial and have a high chance of convicting.

#8 ·
No more room in Texas. You might look elsewhere. You'll need a pass port unless you're from South America or the Middle East. No Covid vaccinations necessary since the Biden Regime has waived all concerns for our new Cartel Tourists vacation packages.

Good Luck and Best Wishes on your move to what's left of America!

#11 ·
Kash, we would love to have you here in Kentucky. Kentucky is very gun friendly, if you want contact me through PM and we can discuss the benefits of living here in a free society.

We have:

Four seasons, mild winters
geographically located
UPS is head quartered here
Cost of living is low
VERY SAFE
Centrally located

Lots of good things here in Kentucky.

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN 🇺🇸

#13 ·
Of all the States mentioned I would have to disagree that Florida is a great 2nd Amendment State. Some of the counties have confiscated thousands of guns from citizens of the State denying them a trial by an impartial jury. They have red flag gun confiscation laws in Florida but most Sheriffs refuse to use these horrid laws. You Florida citizens need to get these tyrant laws repealed.

#96 ·
I used to live in Florida. I moved there from Southern California. At first I thought I moved to heaven because it was a "shall issue state" with respect to concealed weapons permits. Unfortunately I lived in Palm Beach County and the local sheriff was a retired FBI agent. That sheriff obviously had never read the Second Amendment. He refused to approve any purchase of Title 3 firearms (full auto, suppressors, etc.). The sheriffs in many other counties approved such purchases as they were allowed under Florida law but the Palm Beach Sheriff refused unless a denied purchaser hired an attorney and took the matter to court.

Beware of Florida, it is full of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut transplants and many of those people dislike firearms. Carefully research the county you select before you move.

#14 · (Edited)
I wouldn’t move until you list 5 or more of your highest priorities in order of importance. 2A friendly, weather, low crime, geographic beauty, , economy, taxes, cost of living, humidity, access to quality healthcare, business friendly, quality of schools.

Figure out what really important to you, then use that to start to filter down potential places to look at.

It doesn’t really matter if its2a friendly if it doesn’t meet your other criteria.

Indiana has decent 2A, and they just passed constitutional carry a month ago.but it might not check the boxes on other criteria you have that might be higher priority.

#17 ·
As for gun laws, regulations, confiscation, etc., etc. West Virginia is blessed that we have none of that. As a resident you can carry open or concealed with no carry permit required. Also, no restrictions regarding carrying a loaded long gun firearm in your vehicle as you travel. As for crime with firearms we experience that from time to time, but certainly not even close to other areas of the U.S. There is no movement to defund the Police and they are respected and felt very necessary to support the citizens and their families.
For nearly 80 years the State was in the hands of the Democrats, but no more and much improved since the reversal.
West Virginia has beautiful scenery and hunting, and fishing are very popular, and the Winters provide excellent skiing for the East Coast of the U.S. very popular winter sport here.
As for the economy it was only recently announced that we have a sizeable surplus in the treasury of the State, been a long time since that has happened. Are we as prosperous of other southern states, no but we are gaining every year.
I have lived in many places all over the planet and find WV as an ideal home in all respects and for me this is home in every possible way, but that is just me.

#18 · (Edited)
According to the US Concealed Carry folks here is their list for gun owners:

I am an Arkansan so a bit prejudiced. We have Wilson Combat, Walther Arms, Nighthawk Custom, Sig-Sauer Ammo, Remington Ammo, Fiocchi Ammo, and soon to be CZ-USA!

#49 ·
According to the US Concealed Carry folks here is their list for gun owners:

Thank you for the link!

I am surprised that Georgia and Alabama are not on this list. Taking Alabama as an instance, it has been shall-issue for years, and starting in 2022, it will have constitutional-carry. Even before the constitutional-carry bill was signed on 11 Mar 21, two months ago, Alabama was good on almost all of the criteria USCC said they used

I have one other issue with the list. The only states which make it are the ones with permitless carry, so that is the only issue they seem to be considering. Missouri was dinged for banning 'exploding bullets' which seems trifling.

This is Alabama's "scorecard." The items with an 'X' are the ones which will change in 2022. Even without permit-less carry, Alabama is still gun friendly. Worth considering is the pro-gun attitude of the population, and the support for self defense against attackers -- it is more than just understanding the need.

X Permitless carry, constitutional carry or unrestricted concealed carry for anyone who can legally possess a firearm based on the minimum age listed (except where noted)
✓ No permit required to purchase handguns
✓ No waiting period imposed on handgun purchases
✓ No background checks required for private transfers
✓ No handgun registration
✓ No magazine-capacity limits
✓ No ammunition restrictions
✓ No red flag laws
X Vehicle carry permitted without a permit
✓ Possession of a handgun on private property without a permit is allowed
✓ State laws have preemption (so, no concern about local restrictions)
✓ Castle Doctrine statute(s)
✓ Stand Your Ground statute(s) in some locations

Is this not gun friendly?

#19 ·
I escaped Illinois about 15 years ago and moved to south east Missouri . I bought a small 40 acre ranch in the ozark foot hills and love it out here . Missouri is very pro 2A , constitutional carry and recently passed the second amendment preservation act .taxes are lower and it is a beautiful state . Avoid St Louis and Kansas City they are like any other big city with high crime and extremely high housing .

#25 ·
Jackofalltrades, my wife and I are looking at moving likely within three years from close to Idaho to South Carolina to be closer to family in Florida. Georgia is too purple for me and I like how red with freedom South Carolina is. My vote goes for liberty and not Democrats. I have a good job out where I live and that will be the worst thing about leaving where we are.

Reactions: M11293
#30 ·
I have a good job out where I live and that will be the worst thing about leaving where we are.
I had a great job in Northern Virginia, but actually working in DC for Xerox in the middle to late 80's (left in 90). Made lot's of cash with probably the best benefits package I've ever seen. To much bad stuff started going down with crime so I said heck with it. Parents needed some help in Myrtle Beach so I left. It took me a year and a half to play the job market and I made it into something I loved for the next 23 years. Off-shoring unfortunately reared it's head and career change to help the wife in Real Estate sales.

If you decide, or any body else want help in the Horry/Georgetown areas you can PM and I'll forward contact info. There is seriously a lot of southern charm here with great weather 10 months out of the year (July and August are inside project months)

#28 ·
Hey cirus is Lamar county still dry?
That was ruff for me back in the 80's but might be real hard on our Canuk friend.
Might be easier to list the states to avoid.
Ohio has a dence enough rural population to hold the liberal city's in check, for now.

#29 ·
It's conversations like this that make me realize that most people think that I'm one of those extremist right wing fanatics. There hasn't been a state mentioned yet that I think would be a comfortable place to live for a conservative gun enthusiast. All states are the same, the large metropolitan areas are controlled by globalist idiots and half the people that live in the rural areas are just as bad. In Montana half the ranchers and most of the farmers are old school democrats that mistakenly think that today's democrat party is the same as it was in their granddaddy's time, they blindly support the democrats and then complain about how globalists are trying to take over everything and everybody.

#32 ·
If we did relocate there I would likely live far inland in South Carolina because of fear of hurricanes but also earthquakes. From data I have analyzed there are some bad earthquake zones in the southeast of South Carolina.

#33 ·
Charleston had the worst earthquake in the United States, it just wasn't as populated as San Francisco. If you put a glass of water on a table and watch it, you will see the resonance of the earth. Pretty amazing how much giggling it does.

Hurricanes have always been my fear so I study them a lot. Here's what I have found. Hurricanes need warm water to stay alive and build strength. If you look at the historical track of all hurricanes you will see that Florida up to Charleston SC area is pretty highly active. Then Wilmington NC through the outer banks of NC/Virginia line. The continental shelf extends out extremely far from about 20 or 30 miles north of Charleston up to just south of Wilmington North Carolina. You can actually see this on some maps. Our water off of the coast where I live is very shallow out to about 50 miles this makes the storms generally either go up from us or south of us. Also a lot of the wind speed that the National Hurricane Center talks about is in excess of 100 ft above the surface once you get away from the direct Coast. I have stayed in my house through every storm that we've had in the last 30 years and I am roughly 8 miles from the coast and I've never really felt unsafe. Depending on the amount of rain we may lose a few trees or some shingles. Probably 95% of the damage here comes from flooding of low-lying areas and there's a new web tool called map your move that shows you the historical flooding so you know if you're going to have a problem.

Sorry for running on but the Weather Channel and other "news people " have been caught stand in ditches to show fake water levels or hold on to signs like they're about to be blown away as someone casually walks by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.