M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just wondering what some of the very basic (no heavy surgery) mods were to start trying to shrink groups up on my standard and/or SOCOM16? My standard is shooting 1.5 MOA @ 100 yds using 168 gr SMK over 39.5 gr 3031 from a very shoddy low kneel position. The SOCOM is erratic but mostly 3-4 MOA @ 100 yds using American Eagle 150 gr bulk ammo. I've read all sorts of stuff about the NM mods, unitizing the gas cylinder, trigger assembly lockup tension, something about front ferrule interface, bedding, etc... I truly get lost in all of it. What mods are a common sense starting point that I can try to see how my rifle(s) behave differently?

·
Registered
Built Socom 16
152 Posts
There are many many more qualified than I, but I started with a more rigid stock (USGI Fiberglass for me) and shimming the gas system. Those two are fairly inexpensive and can produce pretty decent results with minimal pain.

·
Registered
No Fly List
1,121 Posts
Try using bags for a rest, either prone or on a solid bench. I'd be happy with those groups from a good rest.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do appreciate the replies, folks. I've already done a few tweaks on the SOCOM, swapping the rear sight over to a standard and I have the SEI gas lock with standard size front sight. Shimmed the gas cylinder, too. I really do need more trigger time and a little better stock... it's already in USGI walnut, albeit a little rough around the edges. A good round of load development for it wouldn't hurt either. The standard really responded well to my hand loads, its pretty well bone stock save for a swap to USGI walnut and NM front sight and NM rear aperture. Both triggers break around 4.5-4.8 lbs according to my scale. I'll keep on reading about on the forums and see what I pick up in between range outings. Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What does it shoot with match ammo? I wouldn't think you could really gauge a rifles accuracy without match ammo?
The SOCOM, no idea. It's always been a little better than minute of man gun on bulk ammo. Just got a bunch of 168 SMKs this morning, gonna load up a round of hand crafted ammo and see how she runs the next time I'm out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts