M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decisions , decisions. Of the many single point scope mounts available, in my shop, for the standard M14 receiver, I have come down to the two best of the best.

1. Has to be the IDF mount fielded by the Israeli Defense Force. This mount is rugged and maintains close to zero with removal and re-installation. The two determining factors that put this mount on the top is the fact that no tools are needed for mounting and the click locking feature on the retaining screw to assure stability.

2. Very close second is the Bassett mount used by many of us over the years and held in high regards by all for it's easy on/off and maintenance of close to zero.

IDF mount.

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e200/Arts%20bucket/Single%20point%20mount%203.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e200/Arts%20bucket/Single%20point%20mount%204.jpg.html][/URL]

Bassett mount.

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e200/Arts%20bucket/Single%20point%20mount%201.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/nf1e200/Arts%20bucket/Single%20point%20mount%202.jpg.html][/URL]

AWC , Griffin and Howe , SAI and other "established" single point mounts, tested, paled by comparison.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Very happy with the Basset mount. Comes off when needed, goes back on easy and if torqued correctly returns to near zero. Can use the iron sights with scope mounted.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Curious Art; do you have a preference for the original Bassett over the pic rail version? I have multiples of both and all seem rock solid.

Only issue I’ve found with the original is selecting the right ring height to get the glass centered over the receiver. I have found a scope or two that won’t work on the old style due to fixed nature of ring placement aligning with available tube space for mounting. Regardless, very satisfied with the Bassett’s.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curious Art; do you have a preference for the original Bassett over the pic rail version? I have multiples of both and all seem rock solid.

Only issue I’ve found with the original is selecting the right ring height to get the glass centered over the receiver. I have found a scope or two that won’t work on the old style due to fixed nature of ring placement aligning with available tube space for mounting. Regardless, very satisfied with the Bassett’s.
I have multiples of both and find them more than sufficient to do the job. I have access to piles of rings in my playroom both weaver and 1913 so that's not a problem

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I sure wouldn't get into an argument over the best. I don't like getting into arguments in general. But you can take any design and point to things that are potentially advantageous, and potentially disadvantageous, or at least unwanted or incompatible with a particular goal or preference.

I am very much a fan of those mounts you don't like. I think i've listed the particulars elsewhere. But my priorities or my own, and that's fine. You have yours, and I very much respect your experience and knowledge, and take your endorsement of those mounts as a pretty solid indication that they're the real deal, and will last, reliably. An extensive track record is of undeniable value, IMO.

If I had the ability to do so, I'd take aspects of all of them and make a hybrid. Of course, what I like best is probably not what anybody else likes best, so, that would be likely an expensive exercise.

That IDF set screw thingie looks really interesting. Thanks for sharing it. If you have close up pictures maybe showing how it works, that'd be pretty cool.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I found that the repeatability of remounting was improved by using some JB weld to "bed" the mount to the rifle(bedding on the mount side) to eliminate any side play when re-torquing it.

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
I landed on the Basset low Picatinny version early on and have never looked back. They have been excellent!

If I go multiple point mounts, it is hard to beat the Sadlak, but I also have several Brookfield Precision Tool mounts for my XM25 replicas!

Others are out there, but these are rock solid!

M1Army

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,166 Posts
I initially said the Bassett would be my go to, out of one point mounts, only because I thought the Israeli IDF mount looked really high in pics from before that I remember, maybe that rifle just had a skinnier scope than yours, as they look very close in height in your pics. That twist knob is really cool actually. I have never had one of those, are the pretty stable and solid when locked in?
m14brian

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any opinion Art on the ARMS 18?
ARMS is a fine mount but not single point. They would come in #2 place for multipoint mounts just behind #1 the Sadlak's and just ahead of Brookfield's which come in #3 place.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the Bassett high standard and am well pleased with it. I got the high mount because I wanted the option of using my iron sights. In hindsight the Low standard would have served just as well. As easy as the mount/scope can be removed and re-installed (and pretty much hold zero), my iron sights are but a few seconds away.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have had both the basset and the IDF, I actually Prefer the idf mount. It does sit high but is rock solid!

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had both the basset and the IDF, I actually Prefer the idf mount. It does sit high but is rock solid!
Yes indeed. There is enough flex in the vertical section to absorb some shock and return to zero after a bump. Those engineers really had their stuff together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts