M14 Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
One thing to remember is that while the ARMS mount sits the lowest, it will most likely require medium height rings so the ocular lens of the scope can clear the rear sight. The Sadlak sits a little higher, but for many/most 30mm scopes you can likely use low rings. So one sort of offsets the other at least a little.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure why the adverse reaction to welding the mount in place. These are not historically significant receivers and easily replaced with a new one. As I see it there is not historical alteration in the welding. Having said that I wouldn't weld anything to the receiver as there are great non-welded options. Of course it is your and you can do with as you choose.
I know you said you wouldn't weld to the receiver and mentioned there are other options, and you also touched on historical alteration but should we not be more concerned with the existing heat treating and how welding would affect that? I do not have much experience with heat treating or post process alterations but this just sounds like it could have impact on the process as it was originally intended.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fully agree concern for impact of heat is a primary issue. I felt that point had been made and simply added additional points of view. I suspect my intent may not have been made as clearly as it should have been, mea culpa.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts