M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tossing my SA Scout into a sage chassis and was looking for the best possible scope mount. I've just looked at the sage mount really, and price isn't an issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can't speak to Sage chassis, but when I was looking into scope mounts, I ended up going with Sadlak Airborne scope mount. I settled on this, because it has gotten the most consistently positive reviews and user posts on sites like this one [search yields many pages of results with some good contributions] ...or maybe more accurate to say that "Sadlak got the fewest negative remarks of any I saw." Bassett was the other company that got lots of good reviews.
Regarding some general notes from my pre-purchase research there were some people who said that their aluminum mounts didn't hold up to lots of rounds the way shooter had hoped. There were also people that said that mount x or mount y didn't allow for iron sight usage. Others said various mounts just weren't as solid as had hoped. etc.etc.
So, I'll just include some Sadlak mount +/– remarks from my experience.

The + list: solid as all hell! (this thing has never budged after many cases of various ammo have gone through my M1A Scout); after initial setup, no tweaking/tuning or re-tightening has been required; lots of contact points at good locations for good solid support; very nice installation instructions; no irreversible modification of rifle required (uses strip clip guide); iron sights viewed through deep groove running down center of rail; nice height for comfortable shooting; no problems getting in the way of ejecting casings; honestly, I could wax on for pages about how much I like it, but I think that's less helpful than mentioning some of the [rather minor] drawbacks.

The +/– list: installation is reasonable but not necessarily easy (it requires you to level things properly, use appropriate torque settings, etc.); while there are restrictions regarding receivers out of mil.spec. there is still some adaptability that the mount has to mount to out of spec. receivers within tolerances (not a problem I ran into).

The – list: You gotta drop some $$ for it; it noticeably adds weight (airborne is better than original and titanium is lighter but even more $); this is not what I would call a low-profile mount (cheek riser required on standard stock, but not for my current setup with Blackfeather + AR-style tube stock); I would not recommend removing the mount after it's on (you can do so relatively easily, but due to the way the cam lever engages the receiver and precision of installation, I would assume you would only get to pop it off/on so many times before things loosen or something ...but that's just an assumption); while I can use the iron sights, lining up the sights within the groove very marginally slows target acquisition (I don't even notice now, but I remember I initially did).

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Sadlak
Arms
basset.

All depends if you want to use the iron sights , and if you want to take the mount off to do so.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Since I am a user of the issue sights I went with the Basset for the basic reason it is easy and secure to remove and install w/o any significant change in zero, good mount for that application. The Sadlak is without question a quality mount, but not keen on the system for it requires screws and removal of stripper clip guide but no doubt it is durable if the rifle is going to go through rough use. Match shooting and load testing on bench is not tough duty for the rifle or the scope when I use a scope.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm tossing my SA Scout into a sage chassis and was looking for the best possible scope mount. I've just looked at the sage mount really, and price isn't an issue.
If you go with the Sadlak, your top handrail on the chassis will require a bit of clearancing.
About the first 5 pic rails will need to be shaved off so the mount will clear.

·
Super Moderator
11,125 Posts
All good comments above. Another one to toss into the mix is the M14.CA CASM mount. It installs very easily and it sits flush to the receiver face which means there's no modification required of the SAGE top hand guard rail.

If you go with a Bassett, go with the high Picatinny mount. Just cut off the first two or three rail sections. The low will require much more modification of the top hand guard rail to work.

I've never had any jams or ejection issues with the Bassett or the CASM mount. I can't speak for the Sadlak or the ARMS. I've never handled those before but I hear that they may require a trim of a coil or two of the ejector spring to change the ejection pattern so that jams don't happen.

The best possible scope mounting solution for scope mounting in a SAGE is a rifle built on a Bula XM21 receiver. The scope rails are made to line up perfectly with a SAGE EBR chassis top rail.

Tony.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Sadlak

I would recommend one of the models offered by Sadlak, their mounts are rock solid and their customer service is great.

Rich

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
That makes 2,956 times this same question has been asked since Jan 2011.
[I don't count what went on before I got here]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts