M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on what fellow members think is the best or best value pistol light to mount on the front rail of either of my 2 S&W M&P pistols.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
I would look for a Surefire light i.e. X200, X300, X400 etc and try to find one used. They are LED, put out more light than you need and will blind someone up close. They are easy to mount and dismount. While expensive whatever you can find used will be cheap compared to the cost of a new one. I bought an X 200 a few years ago and don't see any reason to upgrade to one of the newer ones. It is still going strong.

Best features are it is LED so a shot won't break it like a standard bulb type, it has a push switch that is finger tip activated for temporary on and the switch can be rotated up or down to have constant on. If you need it surefire makes a variety of grip switches that can be plugged into it for instant grip activation with most common handguns (see their catalog to see if yours is included). But I have never needed or used that feature. It's also compact and can be kept in a pocket and installed when needed if you are a LEO and need it for duty, without changing your holster needs to get one that accomodates a light.

The older ones like the X200 and X300 are fairly common to find used on most of the pistol forums at reasonable prices. I have also used HK's UTL on an H&K pistol and while convenient on and off of an HK it is a bulb light and they break fairly often when the pistol is fired with the light mounted. The UTL is made by the Streamlight people and they make a non HK marked version. I prefer the surefire.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've got an X300 on my Glock 17. Nice, bright LED light, focused beam, and it's built like a dump truck...$250. FWIW, I don't use tape switches, and go with the same method the previous poster mentioned.

If coin (or lack thereof) is an issue (and in this econony...), a lot of guys are going with a Streamlight TLR-1 for about 1/2 the price.

Having said that, the Surefire's worth it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Insight Tactical Weaponlight

I considered the Surefire line but was curious as to where they are made. I sent an e-mail and this was the response.

"Dear Customer,

SureFire Suppressors and Edged Weapons are made entirely in the USA, most SureFire flashlight components are made at our California factory, and all components are designed and assembled in the USA. However, certain components may not be domestically available in sufficient quantities or performance specifications. For this reason, and because of our decision to follow the strictest interpretation of the FTC guidelines, not all of our products meet the definition required for the Made in the USA label. But, as much as possible, SureFire uses components made in the United States of America. You may be interested in knowing that our flashlights do fall within the Department of Defense’s qualifications for being of US origin, which are somewhat less restrictive than the FTC’s.

Best Regards,

Brenda Alvarado

Customer Service Department

SUREFIRE, LLC
17680 Newhope Street Suite B I Fountain Valley, CA 92708 I U.S.A.
T 714-545-9444 I F 714-545-9537

Illumination tools and accessories designed to meet the demanding needs of high-risk professionals. Tested and relied upon in the world's harshest conditions.

Go with the proven performer. Go SureFire"

Now don't get me wrong here. I have a real nice G2 that I use at work and the customer service is outstanding. This reply speaks volumes about the honesty of Surefire. That said, I went with an Insight for the Glock 21. These are all made here in the USA. And less expensive.

Doug

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
The last pistol light that I bought was an Insight Procyon. It is an LED and is intensely bright and has the added strobe feature that can be used to disorient your antagonist. I am still looking for a holster that allows the light to be mounted while holstered.

On my AR I mounted my previous light which is a Streamlight TLR1 which still works fine for the intended purpose.

I'm sure that there are newer and better lights out there now.....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found that I had a pistol-model Insight M3X- mounted on a carbine. It fits perfectly, is lightweight and seems a natural fit. Certainly not as tough or well-made as Surefire- but I think it'll do until I have some tactical issue 20 meters underwater!
(yea right).

·
Registered
231 Posts
surefire x300, call them direct, speak with the government side of sales, nice discount for military ARMY1

·
Registered
311 Posts
We are currently using Streamlights due to cost with no issues so far.

However, I attended Thunder Ranch this summer and Clint did say that with the volume of lights he sees through his classes, Surefire Weapon lights were the most reliable from his point of view.

HD

·
Registered
151 Posts
I like TRL's

Looking for opinions on what fellow members think is the best or best value pistol light to mount on the front rail of either of my 2 S&W M&P pistols.
I've had an Insight & Streamlight X300 sold them both and bought all TRL's. I have 2 -1S's and 1 2S and think they are a better light for less. They mount ROCK solid, and noticably brighter, I mean smokin bright! Well made and best bang for the buck, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I use the TLR-2. I like the momentary switch. The laser pointer is zeroed at 35 yds, so 0-50 is a 2" elevation deviation. I don't really use it though...Just came on the unit, and it was a gift so what the hey. 3 years old, 3-4 sets of batteries. I use it and train with it and it's holding up well. I think they have a rep of being low end, but I sure don't see it. It's bounced around on the Harley quite a bit...GI2

Dismount it and flicker that light in someones face from 10-15ft...It'll disorient most folks and knock a drunk off his feet.

I'd buy another if I had to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts