M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an unmodified M1A that I want to add a long range scope onto. Looking for the best recommended long range scope (killer accuracy and focus up to 1000 yds). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
There are lots of good scopes. Leupold, Schmidt Bender, Nightforce, US Optics, Swarovski, etc etc.

Depends on your budget and your needs. Most people find that a Leupold Mark 4 tactical is about the entry level for a "really good" long range scope. Look to spend over a grand. Prices for Schmidt Bender, US Optics, etc go way up from there.

Keep in mind, a good scope does not create accuracy. It only helps you the shooter to use whatever accuracy your rifle is already capable of. With a standard M1A and good ammo, you are probably looking at about 2-3 MOA accuracy potential, and even a $3000 scope is not going to make that better. It will just help you get that 2-3 MOA more consistently.

If you want better accuracy than that, you will need to do some accurizing/tuning to the rifle and get the best possible ammo, then the scope will again help you use the "new and improved" accuracy potential of the rifle/ammo combo.

HTH

·
Registered
385 Posts
1st thing you should decide on is if you want a fix magnification or variable magnification scope. Variable X scopes will be 2 to 3 times more expensive than their Fixed X equivalents.

2nd you have to decide how much magnification you want.

3rd you want to get a scope with multi-coated lenses, that is shock resistant, water proof, & fog proof.

4th you need to decide what time of day you plan to do most of your shooting/hunting. If you want to be able to see in dawn & dusk hours, I suggest getting a 50mm objective scope. I wouldn't go smaller than 40mm.

5th you have to decide how much $$$ you are willing to spend. Leupold, Ziess, Nightforce, US Optics, Swarovski, Nikon... all make very good scopes.

6th... NEVER by a Tasco. ONTOS

·
Registered
304 Posts
TO add to OOTurok's statement: "Never buy a Trashco (Tasco)", I expand on it this way:

Never buy a scope marked "Made in ____(<---put Asian country here)"

That INCLUDES Nikon. I have seen a brand new, just purchased and mounted, Nikon Buckmaster scope eyepiece lens SHATTER on round #7 after mounting.

Stay FAR AWAY from: Trashco, Simmons, Bushnell, Nikon, Leatherwood, etc. All made in Asian countries. Junk. Garbage. You get what you pay for. Sold at Wal Mart (Simmons, Bushnell, Trashco) Might be good for your $400 "working man" deer rifle sold there as a package "deal" or by itself from the sales rack....but not good for your $2K M1A match rifle.

Leupold is the best US scope made. US Military issue. What I have on numerous rifles of mine from rimfire up to .30-06.

German glass, if you can afford it, is great, too. Schmidt and Bender is USMC issue on the M40A4. Be ready to fork over $3K+ for that. Swarovski, Khales (what I have on my HK-91), Zeiss, etc.

Others like Nightforce. I have never used them.

www.riflescopes.com Shop until you drop!!!

Another piece of advice for avagley: LEAVE and ABANDON the Democommunist People's Republik of Kalifornia (DPRK). Come over to Free America.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just remember that your gun recoils in two directions. Most scopes are built to work on a bolt gun which kicks in one direction. Like an air rifle, over time you could destroy a very expensive scope. When the SEALS first ordered their 16X Leupold Mark 1 Ultra's for their Barrett 50's, they had the lenses glued in place.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Zeiss 6.5 x 20 50mm with the Z1000 reticle mounted on a bassett mount with 20MOa CANT. Once you get your load right, input it in Zeiss's z1000 ballistics calculator and you are good to go.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Vortex Viper 6.5X20X44, is what I mounted on my 14. It didn't break the bank, was very impressed with the glass. I'm a Leupold fan, fellow ordered it, didn't realize 30 mm rings, so I bought it. So far I like it, and it has performed well and handled the recoil

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I believe that hammonje has the ideal set up. Not cheap by any means but should be about perfect. Super high magnification is not always a good thing. Seeing your cross hairs moving around on target will break your concentration if you're not careful and will wear you out. I wouldn't go above 14-16X personally. Swfa, leupold, nf, higher end Nikon and Bushnell should serve you well. Not to forget us optics either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been saving up for a scope for my M1A and I'm getting close to purchase time (just in time for the shooting season).

I've pretty much settled on a Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25X50 with R1000 reticle and was wondering if anyone had experience with this model. It was suggested as a good compromise between quality and cost. During the summer I will be shooting F Class competition but I also wanted to be able to use it for other work too.

RichNH

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I'm not really familiar with that but I think they are a holdover reticule in the 2nd focal plane which I really don't like. The whole point of that reticule is to hold rather than dial yet because it is SFP you have to have it at a certain magnification to do that. F class with an M1A? I suppose you could do it for fun and to get a feel for your rifle at longer ranges but against bolt guns it will be tough.

Honestly I'm more a fan of the Leupold M3, Vortex PST, Sightron SIII, SWFA scopes for the 1000bucks and less category. They are a bit more utilitarian.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I run a 10-40X56mm with a 30mm Tube, on my Stock M1a
We shoot it 500 - 800+ yrds at a half sized IPSC Gong
Hits on it at any given range is like hitting a man sized Target at twice that distance

·
Registered
844 Posts
Look, no offense but it's a stupid question that you guy have been answering. It's clear the original poster isn't the slightest bit knowledgeable about his question. I'd be embarrassed about asking about "killer accuracy and focus up to 1000 yds". This thread isn't worth posting about.

·
Premium Member
17,308 Posts
I would recommend buying the best scope you can afford, then jack it up and slide a Rem 700 or similar bolt gun under it and have yourself a really accurate rifle to work with. If that fails and you are set on scoping an M14, get a good mount and rings and go with a Leupold MK4 8.5 - 25 and call it a day. You can always move the scope to a real long range rifle later when the M14 doesn't perform the way you thought it would.

[URL=http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/Range31812010.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/March272012accuracyweapons004.jpg.html][/URL]

Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
912 Posts
Look, no offense but it's a stupid question that you guy have been answering. It's clear the original poster isn't the slightest bit knowledgeable about his question. I'd be embarrassed about asking about "killer accuracy and focus up to 1000 yds". This thread isn't worth posting about.

OK ! ? !
But then you took the time to poke fun at the OP and the rest of us that tried to answer his “stupid” question, but felt the "Look, no offense" made it ok
I was always taught;
“The only stupid question, is the one left unasked”
Now I have to put into question your motives for making such an unwarranted statement

·
Registered
187 Posts
I believe when he said killer accuracy he meant, dude killer accuracy. I have a Super Sniper fixed 10 side focus on my 10fp, and just bought the m-308 to replace my old centerpoint on the m1a. I did shop the various vortex variables and the nikons, and even a new super sniper and settled on the nikon. The idea of shooting 1000 yards is a skill that must be obtained and maintained through alot of practice. Then you have the gun and ammo variables. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
+1 for getting the best you can afford . Have you set a budget ? It sounds like you know what you want your rifle to do. I say set a budget then you can make a choice . Good luck and keep the questions coming .

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Those are all excellent options. However, if you want a scope that does not cost upwards of 2-3 thousand dollars, then think SWFA Supersniper scopes. They are made in Japan and comparatively speaking excellent optics for the money. If you want a good review of them, go to the folks of sniperhide and SWFA's optictalk. http://www.opticstalk.com/new-swfa-ss-315x42-ffp_topic36340.html

There are lots of good scopes. Leupold, Schmidt Bender, Nightforce, US Optics, Swarovski, etc etc.

Depends on your budget and your needs. Most people find that a Leupold Mark 4 tactical is about the entry level for a "really good" long range scope. Look to spend over a grand. Prices for Schmidt Bender, US Optics, etc go way up from there.

Keep in mind, a good scope does not create accuracy. It only helps you the shooter to use whatever accuracy your rifle is already capable of. With a standard M1A and good ammo, you are probably looking at about 2-3 MOA accuracy potential, and even a $3000 scope is not going to make that better. It will just help you get that 2-3 MOA more consistently.

If you want better accuracy than that, you will need to do some accurizing/tuning to the rifle and get the best possible ammo, then the scope will again help you use the "new and improved" accuracy potential of the rifle/ammo combo.

HTH

1 - 20 of 48 Posts