M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like to know what the best grease would be for a NM with a SS barrel.
I live in upstate NY where the rifle will be exposed to 20-90 degree weather. it will also more than likely be exposed to rain/snow from time to time. It also must be able to stand up to heat from rapid fire. I've read good things about Plastilube, Lubriplate (not sure which specific type), and XF7, but I'm open to other options.

So what's the best option for my circumstances?

Thanks,
Connor

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ive always used tetra

·
Banned
3,773 Posts
I use Lubriplate. It does a super job. I'm not sure what your referring to as to "which type". Far as I know, Lubriplate is Lubriplate, regardless as to who the manufacture may be. But I will tell you, mine came from a Chevy dealership from their parts dept. It is a GM genuine part they sell. Lubriplate was originally created and used in the automotive industry, but the military found its usefulness in weapons and adopted it.
Brownells has it in the same size can as what I got at the Chevy dealership and for about the same price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use Lubriplate. It does a super job. I'm not sure what your referring to as to "which type". Far as I know, Lubriplate is Lubriplate, regardless as to who the manufacture may be. But I will tell you, mine came from a Chevy dealership from their parts dept. It is a GM genuine part they sell. Lubriplate was originally created and used in the automotive industry, but the military found its usefulness in weapons and adopted it.
Brownells has it in the same size can as what I got at the Chevy dealership and for about the same price.
Lubriplate.com has about 100 different types of lube.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
High temp wheel bearing grease is inexpensive and works very well. Have used it for years.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't want to get off subject with this thread but I have a question. I was trained with the various M16 models, and all we ever use is CLP on our weapons. Where do you want to grease it? I watched a youtube video of a guy showing how to lube it but he pretty much dipped his rifle in grease like he was about to fry the thing.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
A buddy made me realize that all those "gun lubes" are not manufactured with firearms in particular, rather, made to withstand certain tolerances to heat and moisture.

With that being said, automotive lubrication are designed with the same criteria and will work just as well. I've hear Mobile One synthetic is an excellent choice as well as Lucas Red and Tacky. Both work well at a fraction of the cost of what a "gun lube" would cost. Its not the bang that affects the working parts but the friction and conditions, although the repeated bang will determine the overall lifespan of the lubrication and the need to apply more as the action cycles.

I'm more than positive that Remington does not make petroleum product but the oil companies do. If you own a chainsaw know something about chain oil, you will inevitably know that SAE 30 is the same thing, only cheaper than a quart of chain old. Just something to consider.

Reactions: speerchucker

·
Banned
3,773 Posts
Lubriplate.com has about 100 different types of lube.

Yes I know, Lubriplate is the name of the company. But the product in question here is Lubriplate grease and I referred to what's sold in GM dealership parts depts and Brownells, of which there is only one. I'm sure it's available other places as well, but those are the two that I am aware of.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I don't want to get off subject with this thread but I have a question. I was trained with the various M16 models, and all we ever use is CLP on our weapons. Where do you want to grease it? I watched a youtube video of a guy showing how to lube it but he pretty much dipped his rifle in grease like he was about to fry the thing.
The M16 series needs to be run wet for reliability. [Dons Nomex.] Since it is pretty well enclosed, there isn't much of a problem with oil. Slightly off track, the new mil-spec CLP doesn't C, L, or P since they took the Teflon out. DISHOUT

The M14 system is more exposed, larger bearing surfaces, and is rather more violent. Grease stays in place and works. We ran grease and/or motor oil on machine guns for those reasons. [Dons GI3 with Nomex.]

Yes I know, Lubriplate is the name of the company. But the product in question here is Lubriplate grease and I referred to what's sold in GM dealership parts depts and Brownells, of which there is only one. I'm sure it's available other places as well, but those are the two that I am aware of.
I think 130A is the correct grease, but I'm too lazy to walk downstairs and look.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mobil 1. Works great.
See FootSoldier's answer. Best stuff since sliced bread, IMNSHO. I like it mainly because it's easy to remove, which is good because as a NM competition shooter, I like to keep my rifles clean, and change the grease often to remove grit and firing residue buildup. Mobil One wipes off and is easy to replace and won't melt and go all runny when it's hot... (I am in NY, too). I use it on certain parts of my NM AR's as well, (bolt carrier rails, takedown pins, etc...) Great stuff and a tub will last you a loooooong time.
Mike B
PS: it's also a pretty pinkish-red color!

·
Registered
82 Posts
best grease

I use high temp lithium grease that you can get at any car parts store. It is cheap and it works.
As Bevis stated, i use lithium on ..45 autos, m14s and everything between. I custom-blend an oil for use on 'sheen guns, especially beltfeds but gotta have the lithium for special locations.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'll add another vote for Mobile 1 universal red synthetic. It exceeds all the mill spec tests including water wash out. I've used it for 20 years as a mechanic, ME, and gun guy. I've seen 10 year old packs on wheel bearings that looked like new.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys! I was about to just use CLP like on all our Marine Corps weapons. But thanks to your guys help I can use what my rifle needs. A tub of Teflon White Lithium Grease from DuPont.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I pulled the rifle grease specification and looked at the grease specification. Basically it is a NLGI-3 grease.

The military tested a bunch of greases, you all have seen the pictures of a guy shooting a Garand/Carbine in a rain coat while being hosed down with hot water, and picked a commercial grease that worked best.

At the time it was Lubriplate 130.

The specification said greases were not to be used in cold weather, I think it was 40 F or below.

Grease and oil technology have really moved on and the lubrication requirements of Garands/M1a's are not all that severe, as long as you keep it lubricated.

Any waterproof wheel bearing grease will do fine. Those are NLGI-2. You can buy tubes at Wally Mart.

You can buy more expensive stuff, and that will do fine.

A good rule of thumb is LSA in the winter and Lubriplate in the summer.

I use Mobil 1 motor oil in the winter and whatever lithium based wheel bearing grease I have in the tube. Lubriplate 105 is good for 60/70 ish weather.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
What?

Not one, not even one vote for Super Lube!
Gentelman I am disappointed.

JimSHOCKED2

Reactions: angelonm

·
Registered
688 Posts
Am I the only one who uses TW-25B? It seems to be the latest synthetic grease that the military is using. We always kept a stock of it in our arms room for use on our MK-19s.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts