M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put optics on my M1A, but I don't want a huge scope. I'm looking for something in the 4 power range, like an acog, elcan, or the like.

Gotta be rugged.

What choices are out there that work good with the M1A?

Thanks men,

--Fargo007

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to hear from a brother with an acog on an m14. I'm leaning that way, but I'm concerned about mounting and cheekweld issues.

Thanks!

--Fargo007

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dang, Lumpy...imagine running into you here... :D

As far as optics go, I've got an EO-Tech 552 on a Knight's Armament M14 RAS on my M1A.

Here's a couple of pictures of my set-up...

The EO-Tech is a zero-magnification red-dot sight. BUT...

EO-Tech is currently working on a detachable magnifier for their sights. It will be between 3.5 and 4 power.

The overall sight/magnifier package will probably be a bit larger than the ACOG. But, it'll be more flexible allowing you to switch between a magnified sight for targets at longer ranges or a zero-power sight for quick target acqusition at closer ranges.

Here's a picture of one of the prototype magnifiers mounted behind an EO-Tech sight on an AR...

EDITED TO ADD PICTURES!!!

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
sgtstinger said:
The EO-Tech is a zero-magnification red-dot sight. BUT...

EO-Tech is currently working on a detachable magnifier for their sights. It will be between 3.5 and 4 power.

The overall sight/magnifier package will probably be a bit larger than the ACOG. But, it'll be more flexible allowing you to switch between a magnified sight for targets at longer ranges or a zero-power sight for quick target acqusition at closer ranges.
Nice looking set-up!
I am very intersted in the EOTech magnifier

That and the LaRue tactcal mount would be sweet on my Scout.

Please keep us posted on it's release

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to break my EO tech free from the M17 and try that first, since it's in the house. After that, I think I'm leaning toward the IOR M1.

Thanks for the help and pics. Like most other firearms boards I visit, everyone is very helpful and knows their stuff.

Thanks,

--Fargo007

·
Registered
268 Posts
fargo007 said:
I'd like to hear from a brother with an acog on an m14. I'm leaning that way, but I'm concerned about mounting and cheekweld issues.

Thanks!

--Fargo007
I use a Leupold with about 3.5" of eye relief. The eye relief is only 1.5" on the TA01B ACOG. That would give me a shiner.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fargo: you're looking for something small and about 4x? For a conventional scope I'd echo Cohiba's comments on the Valdada IOR.

There's two different 4x Valdada tactical scopes, the M1 and the M2. M1 is longer and...it may suit the purpose better, more later on that. Three reticle patterns are available for the 7.62 cartridge, Dragonov, CQB, and NATO. I'm familiar only with the Drag reticle. The scope's reticle is illuminated with a $2 Walmart battery, seven brightness levels. Best to tape down the battery drum switch, it has a habit of getting turned on.

Windage adjustments are very coarse with these scopes, believe them to be 2.8 MOA per click. Elevation adjustment uses a BDC compensated in meters from 0-1000 meters and the Drag reticle has more chevrons to 1300 for the optimistic.

The M2 on a ARMS 18 mount is one of the few scope solutions for the M14-type rifle which does not cause eye relief problems in position shooting. Unfortunately this mounting position is not so good for offhand, it reduces field of view considerably. The M1 is longer, eye relief and mounting issues may be different, I do not know.

The Valdada tactical fixed power scopes are a good value. If you want to go up another $150- $200, consider the Valdada Super 6x30 tactical. Rings for this one are about 35mm. The scope is also longer which may be helpful for eye relief.

These are not new technology nor the biggest and highest of scopes capable of being bolted atop an M14-type rifle. But they are small, and mount close to the axis of the bore. I know a guy who got 13 hits from 20 rounds on the small side of a conex box at 1200 yards using a rack grade rifle, M80 ball, and a Valdada Super 6 scope, from prone. The scopes are quality and are enough scope for the rifle it's put on.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I have an Aimpoint that's really cool.... haven't sighted it in yet. Also have a Tasco Super Sniper, also not sighted in yet. 8O I've seen the ACOG and it would be a really nice scope as well as the Leupold. Whatever you decide, I would PM or e-mail M14Dan for some prices. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
The ACOG is a great scope but it sits too high on the M1A because it's made for an AR-15 flattop. The IOR is one tough scope but has short eye relief and has to be mounted with one ring in front of the adjustable knobs. The red dot scopes are for short range and not precise enough for shooting much past 200 yds. I think the Leupold 1.5-5 X 30mm would work well? IMHO. I'm currently using the Leupold 2.5 Scout on a standard 22" with a LAW483 modified GI fiberglass stock. Please let me know if you find any small optics that work better.
[/img]

·
Registered
47 Posts
74BRONC it's the SA Inc. Scout Mount on a standard 22" barrel with Leupold Quick Release Rings. I would like to find a light weight scope in the 4 to 6 power range. The IOR 6 power may be the best choice for now, but it's not very small, kind of heavy and uses IOR's 35mm rings. So it's not going to be quick to remove. Also, it would require using a receiver mounted scope base such as the ARMS 18 and that's going to add even more weight. I don't think anyone makes the ideal scope for an M1A yet, that is small, lightweight, and 4 to 6 power. When you add a receiver mounted scope IMHO it makes the rifle cumbersome and heavy. That's why I went to the Scout Scope setup until I find something better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello All,

This is my first post on this site. Lots of good info so I had to join. I just bought a Loaded Standard with wood stock. Already have the ARMS #18 mount. I have read all about different optics. I am strongly leaning towards a fixed power. Most likely the US Optics SN 12 fixed 4 power. Everyone has posted on the Eotech,ACOG,Aimpoint,IOR etc. Has anyone tried the SN 12? Do you know something I don't? I have found that I tend to leave the power on my variable I have on my Rem PSS 300 win mag alone. On the website it seems they configure it in 3.5 and 4x. 4 reticle choices and 4" eye relief. Sounds good to me.
Thanks for the feedback,

http://usoptics.com/sub_pages/scope_model.php?recordID=8

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.