M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I throughly enjoyed the video. When my oldest son was in the 5th grade I went to DC as a cheporone with his class and we saw the changing of the guard. On the tour of DC we also went to "The Wall", which is why I wanted to go to DC in the first place. I'd promised myself that before I died I'd make the pilgrimage to The Wall.

7th

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
my first visit to the Tomb of the unknown. The guard stopped and did the turn procedure, and started yelling. It was suprising. He was getting on to someone.I think was about correcting something about their dress, I was so young.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I watched the Changing of the Guard back in 2010 when we were in DC. The Sergeant of the Guard came out, made his statement to the crowd about remaining standing and remaining silent through the ceremony. There was a woman near one end of the walk who just wouldn't shut up; I couldn't see her from my vantage point, but could hear her, I think she was talking on her cellphone.

The Sergeant Of the Guard walked over to that side, and in a voice you could have heard to the Capitol, told her to shut up or leave. You couldn't even hear the leaves rustle after that. Some people just don't get the solemnity of this ceremony. It was one of the most impressive things I've ever watched, and made me proud of my paltry contribution to America's defense.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The regiment That does the honor guard is quite meticulous I saw a documentary about it once and was quite impressed. I saw the changing ceremony during an 8th grade field trip to DC. Even then I knew at that point to STFU.

·
Registered
200 Posts
More Marine Corps

On a slightly different note - I saw the Evening Parade at Marine Barracks at Washington a few years back and was overwhelmed by the precision of the soldiers. It is one of the most memorable military events I have attended and would highly recommend seeing it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another changing of the guard from a different perspective: full manual of arms for the tomb guards:

[ame]http://youtu.be/ZYZgbgJdvc0[/ame]

A compilation of Tomb Guards reprimanding the civilians, and among other things, telling them to STFU! Enjoy! RNGR1

[ame]http://youtu.be/FdTo1phazMU[/ame]

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
There was a woman near one end of the walk who just wouldn't shut up; I couldn't see her from my vantage point, but could hear her, I think she was talking on her cellphone.

The Sergeant Of the Guard walked over to that side, and in a voice you could have heard to the Capitol, told her to shut up or leave. You couldn't even hear the leaves rustle after that.
I saw the guards challenge a guy who went beyond the rail to snap a picture. I thought he was going to get the bayonet!

One good thing about the way people use their cell phones is it lets you know right away if they're self centered, inconsiderate idiots. It saves a lot of figuring time for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts