M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've tested smk's and Nosler CC's literally side by side and observed zero difference in accuracy. That being said my vote goes to the CC's as they are cheaper and I am strictly an amatuer recreational shooter. Cheaper bullets means more trigger time..

·
Registered
131 Posts
One of the first and best things my dad taught me in my edumacation on reloading was "1 gun - 1 load".

Goes for semi-auto pistols, revolvers, any and all rifles. Period.

I have a pair of .222 Rem bolt rifles. One is a circa 1953 Sako heavy barrel 1:12 twist tack driver that has spolied a lot of young kids shooting something with virtually zero recoil and 1/2 inch groups all day, and a custom built mannlicher on a 1960s Sako action and a 1:10 twist Douglas barrel. Mannlicher shoots 3/4 inch groups hot or cold, rain or shine. The "sweet" load in each rifle is totally different! And the 1:10 twist loves the 69 and 70 grain bullets a LOT. It would be my "live off the land" and "trunk" gun before even my SOCOM.
I have 2 different modern R700 bolt's in .308 and .300 win mag , almost identical configurations. The.308 is a 26" heavy Varmint , and the 300WM is a 26" heavy fluted stainless Sondero. My 308 is just SO forgiving with loads as far as accuracy , I can load any bullet from 155 to 178gr and my good ol W748 powder and as long as my velocity is around 2540 fps it's a consistent MOA rifle @ 200 meters. Like most rifles I have shot and amazing .2 MOA on certain outings but can't brag that I can maintain .2 MOA "all day long". My 300WM however is a very finicky barrel to shoot accurately. I struggled for a year trying to find MOA , started out with 180's , 190's and 200's using IMR 4350 and R22 and nothing impressive was only shooting about 2-3 moa. Then I got a tip from another forum to try the real heavies , specifically 208 AMax's and H1000 powder , and holy smokes I quickly settled in on consistent MOA groups. I have a Savage FP10 in 223 that's an amazing shooter as well, a very forgiving barrel as far as loads. I also have a Yugo refurbished K98 8mm Mauser that is an absolute LOUSY shooter, best I have yet to observe is 5 MOA with very wild single fliers that I just can't figure out why.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts