M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a fairly new reloader, I have been just using PMC and FC brass for my loads, but I read repeatedly about people having preferences for certain brass. I just bought 460 pieces of 7.62x51 WCC 06 and 08 brass from the px here and it seems to be very thick and robust brass. What do you guys think of this stuff?

For you reloaders, what brass do you think is best, and why? Perhaps make a list of 5 of the best, and also a list of 5 or so of the worst brass, maybe so newbies like me can avoid it. Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
In semis LC or WCC, good quality and cheap but more labor to prep. For bolt guns, Lapua is so consistant that you will almost never cull any and in my rifles it lasts longer than any other brass. Winchester comercial is probably my second choice for either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lapua for the top shelf and LC for blasting fodder.

Prvi Partizan has proven to be some very tough brass in Mil spec. if you want to shoot it first and then reload it.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I have been really happy with commercial Winchester.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I've had good experiences with Winchester NATO brass, it's longevity is better than Federal. I think the WCC is better than their commercial .308 brass.
LC is very good and not on the steepest slope of the price/performance curve with Lapua.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
WCC is very good brass as far as it's strength and longevity goes but it's not very good for the purposes of precision shooting. If you take the time to set your head space accurately and use low pressure loads you can reload WCC cases more times than most other brass. I've loaded them as many as 12 times before I became concerned about the pressure ridge on the inside, that's not the normal number of times for me but I can easily get 6 reloads out of each piece of brass. And if you go over the details every time you use the brass you can get some pretty precise groups.

Lapua, on the other hand, is just the other way around, it is very consistent and it is a more precise product, but it stretches easier than WCC. I love Lapua brass for being able to buy a box and just put a primer, powder, and bullet in it and it works just about as well as if you had hand checked every part of the brass.

FC has the worst traits of both of the above. It's not precision brass and it stretches too easily.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Federal seems to be soft and stretches, Winchester is good, I dont mess with the surplus brass. Im lazy and dont like dealing with the crimped primers. I use Lapua in my bolt guns, I bought 300 pieces of Lapua for my 338 lapua's. Still have and use the brass, its gotta have 10 reloads on it. I just ordered 500 more, that should last me forever. Remington brass seems to take a lot of prep work out of the bag. I never used PMC brass.

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
I think we are all in agreement that Lapua brass is as nice as it comes if it wasn't for the price and sometimes availabilty I would use more of it, just like you. No brass lives a long or happy life in a M-14/M1A.

Winchester military(WCC) I have never had good luck with the brass seems soft, my 168 reloads are mild but they seem to strech and need the most trimming or the primer pocket starts getting loose so I don't load 168's in WCC brass anymore, I switched them too my 125 reloads and they seem too like it better needing less trimming and the primer pocket stays snug, after there 4th reload there in the scrap bucket, headstamp/years I've reloaded WCC are 68-94-09.

Federal brass has always been soft and has always lived a short life in my rifles. Like WCC brass I use it for my 125 loads, but I normaly only get 3 loads before they hit the scrap bucket, there primer pocket is better than the WCC but with the thin case wall construction you can see the preasure ring forming pretty qiuck.

L.C./RA/IVI/PMC I lump into the same group, heavy construction and hard, while they need the most work to get them into shape they live the longest I can load anything 125-175 and get 4 reloads before there done.

Privi Brass, as of late I seem too be judging brass on how well they handle my 125 load before I move them on too my 168's and 175's loads, the brass seems too be harder than WCC/FC needing less trimming there primer pocket is also holding firm there not as heavy or as hard as LC/RA/IVI/PMC, with my 125 loads they have gone 4 reloads and still looked better than the WCC/FC so I my move the next batch of brass up too the 168's and see how well they do.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Prvi Partizan has proven to be some very tough brass in Mil spec. if you want to shoot it first and then reload it.

Prvi Brass... they have gone 4 reloads and still looked better than the WCC/FC so I my move the next batch of brass up too the 168's and see how well they do.

Dumb question: I just bought 1,000rnds of the Prvi 145gr. ball ammo. Is it annealed?

There's some slight discoloration around the shoulder and mouth of the case, but if this is annealing, then it's the least apparent that I've ever seen...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dumb question: I just bought 1,000rnds of the Prvi 145gr. ball ammo. Is it annealed?

There's some slight discoloration around the shoulder and mouth of the case, but if this is annealing, then it's the least apparent that I've ever seen...
Yes neck and shoulders are annealed.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
Lapua is about twice as expensive as Win right now, at least in .308. Now Lapua is good stuff but I don't know if it's twice as good. It does have consistent weights - I just weighed a few hundred and the extreme spread was less than 2.5 gr. Win is probably the best for the money in my book. Not quite as consistent as Lapua but you get twice as much.

Every once in a while Rem makes some nickel plated .223 brass that is excellent. I haven't really shot enough other Rem brass to comment.

LC, IMI, PMC - like stated above, tough as nails but not built for precision at longer ranges. I've had some killer 100 yd loads with PMC.

Norma - ridiculously expensive. It's real nice brass, but nothing is worth that much. Plus it's a little soft.

Nosler is also very nice. Flash holed deburred at factory. Not much different than Lapua but priced 20% higher. When you buy a box of this stuff, it comes packed like it was china in heavy foam. No dings or beat up necks because of that. I buy Lapua but I don't pay the price for Nosler.

·
Registered
474 Posts
So far I've enjoyed good luck with winchester nato brass. I do like the consistency of Norma and Lapua, but it's expensive. When I first got my m14 I got a couple thousand rounds of winchester white box before I knew it was junk ammo. After the first firing the case lengths are all over the place, but after trimming and uniforming they work good and last a long time in the m14, and I've gotten 1" moa out of it if I do my part, don't think for the m14 you can get much better. A bolt gun I'd probably use Norma or Lapua.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just purchased 1,000 7.62 cases from apex-brass.com

I am quite happy with the quality. This is once fired, processed brass. The cases are predominately SBS with some LC. The brass has been de-primed, cleaned, sized, trimmed and primer pockets swedged. It looks like factory new brass.

When I consider the time involved in me processing once fired mil-spec brass, the price was a steal; $219.00 per 1,000! Worth checking out.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
QUOTE=TexIndian;799156]Lapua is about twice as expensive as Win right now, at least in .308. Now Lapua is good stuff but I don't know if it's twice as good. It does have consistent weights - I just weighed a few hundred and the extreme spread was less than 2.5 gr. Win is probably the best for the money in my book. Not quite as consistent as Lapua but you get twice as much.

I've been reloading my once fired by me Lithuanian brass for my M1a. I weigh every piece of brass after resizing/deburr/PP work. Seperate into three weight lots for different uses. Extreme spread by weight is less than 2 gr. Takes a little more work, but worth it. I've reloaded this stuff 9 times before any signs of over working has appeared. I've finally settled on six reloads max before chucking.

LC, IMI, PMC - like stated above, tough as nails but not built for precision at longer ranges. I've had some killer 100 yd loads with PMC.

Norma - ridiculously expensive. It's real nice brass, but nothing is worth that much. Plus it's a little soft.

Nosler is also very nice. Flash holed deburred at factory. Not much different than Lapua but priced 20% higher. When you buy a box of this stuff, it comes packed like it was china in heavy foam. No dings or beat up necks because of that. I buy Lapua but I don't pay the price for Nosler.[/QUOTE]

Yes Nosler and Lapua are made for the guy that wants to do a minimum of prep work prior to reloading. Very pricey though. Both new Winny and Rem case come from the factory "rough". Cases need to be checked in a case gauge/checked for OAL, and usually needs trimming prior to reloading. dozier

·
Registered
689 Posts
1. Hirtenberger Boxer primed NATO 7.62 brass from the 90's is probably as close to Lapua as you will find in a military surplus round. The primer flash holes are small & you have to use a small primer pin to decap the primers. Other than that, reload like any other case...and it lasts through many reloads. The case walls are very uniform and brass weighs out + or - 3 grains. If you ever see any at a gun show..buy all you can afford for your bolt gun.

2. USGI brass from the 60's (as late as early 70's, until SCAMP machines came into use) is some of the toughest brass around. Today, brass is impact extruded.... like making a coke can....one big smash of the brass disk in a forming die and your case is mosltly formed. Back then, brass was drawn, annealed...drawn and annealed, etc several times to make some of the most robust cases ever. If you ever run into LC, RA, WCC, WIN, FCC, TW or other makes of USGI brass from that era, (pull down comes to mind), buy that for your gas guns and get many loads without a lot of issues...in this case, they really don't make em like thy used to.

·
Registered
788 Posts
FC primer pockets lasted exactly one reload with a standard 41.5gr IMR 4895 168gr SMK or Nosler CC load before they wouldn't reliably hold a primer. RA and LC USGI brass have worked the best so far for me. I ran through 300 of new Win commercial brass once last year and just picked up 500 of the LC M118 LR once fired for match brass this year. Still trimming and prepping for this year. No more FC brass for me.

Eagle 1

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have only used Military grade brass for reloading.
As Dozier said, the Lithuanian "GGG" brass is what I think is best.
But as he also mentioned it takes a little more prep time. The toughest primer removal I have seen.
PMC is good brass I list it under LC brass(2nd).
FC is the softest. I have only used FC brass shot out of my own rifle, "08" or later brass. Either Federal XM762D or pulled NATO primed cases. No once fired range brass. I only use it with 155 gr. bullets or less, mostly as M80 clones. I will only shoot it a total of four times max.

Here is my list of what I have used and where I list them.
1; GGG
2; LC
3; PMC
4; WCC
5; IVI New from Sharch's, brass is on par with PMC but neck wall is thinner than the others.
6; FC

Glenn

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I see Brass as Brass It is Expendable Period. I get 3-4 reloads from them Then into the Trash

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.