M14 Forum banner

Best barrel

1347 6
What is the best barrel? I have collected some parts, win. op rod, win. bolt, gas cylinder, flash hider. I have decided on an LRB M1913 receaver. But what should I do for a barrel? I want sub moa acuracy, but I'm not a competater. And I would like to save weaght. So what do you all think :?:
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Being a combat vet and waggin' an M14 around in the bushes in Vietnam and not having to worry about sub moa and hole in a hole scenarios I can only add that you probaby will want something in a NM type barrel or a med-heavy ...

While they are not chrome lined they should still hold up for quite a spell and give you what your looking for with moa-sub stuff ...

Six

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
El Cazador said:
I want sub moa acuracy, but I'm not a competater. And I would like to save weaght. So what do you all think :?:
Sub-MoA accuracy comes with a medium or heavyweight barrel on a bedded rifle with parts handpicked and fitted by a professional armorer and premium match grade ammo. Generally, the M14 is not the rifle to pick if you want Sub-MoA. It's expensive to get it there and expensive to keep it there. If you plan to shoot surplus ammo, then you've tied up a lot of money into potential accuracy that you're never going to cash in on.

A standard chrome-lined barrel (GI or other) will probably shoot just fine for your purposes (1.5MoA on a well built rifle) and will last a lot longer than a match barrel (which you will likely shoot out before you can out-shoot the rifle).

Ty

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you recamend a manufactuer :?: My SA Loaded with smith mount and 14+ scope will shoot .75" groups at 100 yds using match ammo from a bench. I was hopeing I could do the same with a lighter barrel. I would also be willing to to consider a G.I. barrel :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
The weight difference between the medium barrel and the standard barrel is only about a pound. You can recover some of that weight difference by going to a Fiberglass stock or a lighter scope. Or do about 50 jumping jacks a day for one week... :roll:

On the other hand, since you are getting an LRB, Lou was saying that the initial testing of his chromed standard weight barrels was very encouraging accuracy wise.

Of course... the real issues affecting accuracy are stock bedding, rifle tuning and ammo quality. If those issues are not addressed, the barrel weight won't matter too much, and if they are addressed properly, everything else being equal, a good quality standard weight barrel with match ammo shouldn't sacrifice much in terms of accuracy to the medium weight... if any.

My opinion is that in the final analysis, the real reasons why one rifle will be more accurate than another has almost nothing to do with that little bit of extra steel in the chamber area... which is already the most rigid part of the barrel.

The real advantage to your loaded barrel, if any, is that Douglas made it, and they make pretty good barrels in general, and that it is air guage selected for consistency. At least someone is making some attempt to produce an accurate barrel, not because it is a few ounces heavier.

I hate to let out a secret, but my info is that all Douglas match barrel blanks are made at the same time on the same machines, from the same production runs, and they are all air-guaged....but guess which ones become match barrels and end up costing the most....???

Yep... the few that actually pass the tests... those become the match barrels. They are better barrels, but only because they turned out better. I would bet that if you took any one of those barrels and machined it down to standard dimensions it would shoot exactly the same ...before and after....because the quality was there to begin with...or not.

Any one of these barrels is probably pretty damn good, but I plan on giving one of Lou's standard barrels a try in the near future, Lou's got his mojo working.

TC

·
Registered
837 Posts
El Cazador said:
Can you recamend a manufactuer :?:
Krieger barrels are generally considered to be the best out there. They are pricey, though.

[qoute]My SA Loaded with smith mount and 14+ scope will shoot .75" groups at 100 yds using match ammo from a bench.[/quote]

That is exceptional accuracy from a non-bedded rifle with no other match mods than the few that SA Inc puts on their Loaded rifles. You should be happy with what you got. FWIW, SA Inc uses Wilson barrels on their Loaded models.

I was hopeing I could do the same with a lighter barrel. I would also be willing to to consider a G.I. barrel :)
IMHO, it ain't gonna happen. Added weight is the price you pay for greater accuracy.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
"My SA Loaded with smith mount and 14+ scope will shoot .75" groups at 100 yd"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! You won't do better than that.

But, I lean toward Douglas Barnett heavies - 4 groove. Good BANG for the buck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.