M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I don't know about the barrel block cracking, but I've had mine for 15 years, put maybe 500 rounds out of it a year (I shoot rifles and shotguns a lot more), and it looks like the day I bought it. It's fun to shoot when I do bring it out..

I'm a lot more accurate with it than I am with my 1911, FWIW..

·
Registered
433 Posts
delete please

Delete please mods

·
Registered
433 Posts
There is a lot of bad press out there about this pistol, but I too have had mine quite a while 9+ years, with no issues and great accuracy. Only modification I've done was to install a D-spring, it gets rid of the horrendous stock double action trigger pull. Brings it down from 12 to around 7 or so, cant remember exactly. Enjoy it though, there's a reason it's the current mitary issue sidearm.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
The trigger sucks by comparison but if you get it tuned to quality then the gun is great.

run 115gr ball ammo for bulk shooting or plinking and the 124gr HP's for self defense (after you have shot several of the same box to ensure feed function and cycle)

Keep her clean and lubed and your good to go.

The trigger is the key with a 9mm. the round is not powerful so well placed rounds are important and you simply cannot do that with the factory trigger.

JMO.

PS I saw mel gibson shoot down a helo with one so your good to go!!!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
The stories of cracked blocks and slides comes from using too much too hot submachine gun ammo. Saw a lot of Taurus PT-99s with cracked blocks back in the 90s , when a lot of IMI 'black tip' and other hot (+P+) surplus SMG 9mm ammo was around.

Funny , never saw a cracked block on a Beretta , though I did see some cracked slides. Saw many Taurus with cracked blocks , but no slide problems.

Though M882 9mm NATO ammo is considerably hotter than SAAMI comercial ammo. It's in the +P or better range.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
The military M9's had an issue with locking blocks cracking/breaking but the blocks were redesigned and now they don't crack anymore. I have not heard of this being an issue with the 92 FS.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
The current 92FS blocks are 3rd generation if memory recalls. Any I've ever heard of cracked were previous generations. A lot of stories about the 92FS seems to come from M9 opinions of guys issued them in the military and have no real relation to a private owned 92FS. The military isn't using the newer block either from what I know. There lowest bidder 2nd gens if my memory recalls right again.

I've owned and carried a 92FS and M9 commercial version for years now. There an excellent pistol that I protect my and others life with and trust to do the job everytime over lots of other pistols. You'll be the better for owning one. The trigger pull can be reduced by replacing the hammer spring with a D spring from Beretta. You can also replace it with lower weight Wolffs.

If you're going to do it I recommend you upgrade your recoil spring as the weight of the hammer spring is part of the battle is recoil and impact to the frame. You also have the option for their trigger spring conversion if you want and have a steel trigger, but I have been sticking with their standard trigger springs and slide springs for basic replacement for a while now too and am very happy. I love my Beretta trigger pulls. Another part I favor is the Wolff steel guide rods. There smoother to me.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/BERETTA/92,%2096,%20AND%20CENTURION/cID1/mID2/dID36

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I got mine about 6 years ago. I shoot it twice a month and shoot lead rn124s',147s'FMJ and 115s'hp and usually it's 250-300 per outing. I absolutely have had zero issues and love the darn thing !!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've had my 92FS for going on 15 years and carried a M9 since ’02, to include during three tours to Iraq. While they are decent pistols, they are not my favorite. The military had some issues early on with slides cracking, but these were on the 92F equivalent M9s. The 92FS model was supposed to elevate this problem. I find the 92FS/M9 rather large for a 9mm, I don’t care for its ergonomics, trigger pull, or magazine. As far a 9mm’s go, I prefer the SIG 226 and Browning Hi Power, but that just my opinion…

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I bought my first 92FS about 15yrs ago ( a SS model....ended up being stolen from my car ....bought another one. ) I have had zero problems with it and I carry it with TAP for my CC. For some reason I am much more accurate with my 92FS than the 1911?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'll just add my .02 cents worth. I have owned two and shoot them extensively. The S in FS stands for slide and it means it is the model that has been strengthened to alleviates the slide blowing off the back of the rails.

That said, I really like the weapon and find it the size perfect for my needs. I carried one for years on the street before I retired and never felt under gunned. Shoot it and have a ball, it's a great pistol.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The cracking slide "issue" occured on some first generation pistols in the late 1980's and was traced to inferior made slides by a sub-contractor. Beretta now makes the entire pistol at it's plant and has redesigned the gun. I got my Beretta in 1992 and it's still going. GI5

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Im an Armorer for an MP Unit with racks of M9's. To my knowlege (and I would Know)there has not been any issues with with cracked locking blocks or frames or anything. We have had problems with grips losing bolts or cracking.
Not big fan of the weapon though because of the caliber and the fact the barrel is so exposed that debre can get packed in, But really no issues

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
great accurate pistols, if you have problems with the trigger pull, you should practice more.. Avoid any military non beretta made mags, its a low bidder thing
Issue mag come from CMI by the way

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Issue mag come from CMI by the way
I don't know about who makes them, I saw a 25 ID soldier at the PX buying beretta factory mags before deployment to Iraq, I said " don't they issue those to you" he told me that they are cheap mags that don't work, you haft to get Berretta mags.. I took him at his word, as someone who probably knows better than me..

also CMI may be the current supplier, but if I am not mistaken I was looking over the goodies that a Marine friend had brought back from Iraq, this was after the invasion and the beretta mags were a mismash of differant manufacturers

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.