M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best way to tell if your op rod is bent or out of spec? my SA loaded is new only 20 rounds thru it. at range noticed the op rod is real hard to pull back and when it is in the rear position it practically sticks. the rifle was cleaned before i took it to the range and properly lubed. the rifle did fire and eject rounds properly. is it just break in needed ? or do i have a problem?

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Pull the action from the stock and make sure your op rod guide is aligned correctly. If the guide is not aligned it will have the same symptoms. Several methods of fixing a wandering guide. Remove it and knurl the barrel shoulder or use a small pointed punch and make dimples on the shoulder. Then use some locktite to keep it in place after you line the oprod up with the piston.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would be careful performing modifications to a brand new rifle that has a warranty. They may decide to void your warranty if you perform the NM modifications that 82nd suggested. This is a great modification for an older rifle or one without a warranty, but...

Check the alignment and if the guide is out of alignment use a wooden mallet to try to drift it back into alignment. If it is really loose and you want it tighter I'd start by contacting SA and asking them if NM upgrades will affect their actions in the future.

While you have the op rod off the rifle to realign the guide, visually inspect it. You should be able to see if it is straight. Compare it to some of the pictures available in various places or pick up a copy of Kuhnhausen's guide.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update

after installing the original spring guide back in , the rifle now works fine. i just dont understand why my rifle did not like the sadlak spring guide. the sadlak worked fine in my socom, and also in a standart. very strange....that it would not work in my loaded SA. GI4

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Try swapping springs from one of the rifles that the spring guide works in. Mike sadlak's components are typically not the problem. He holds his stuff to strict tolerances, he white glove inspects his pistons. I have his guides and pistons in all my rifles they all function flawlessly.
Do the spring swap and get back to us.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cont.

ah i did also install a wolf spring, mabey the combo of the sadlak and the wolf spring is the problem? could the after market spring be too strong? and be the problem? i will try a spring swap when i get home from work to night and post results.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
If it is not the wolf spring, it is starting to sound like the inside diameter of the op rod might be tight. G.I. measure roughly
.475 at the mouth, and SAI roughly .480

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
well case solved the spring is the problem.
If you want to run a better spring, get a Tubb CS spring. You get a set with the hammer spring also. I think Brownells has them or you can buy direct from Superior Shooting (David Tubb's shop).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts