M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I carelessly dropped my gas piston, tried to catch it before it hit the floor and sent spinning even higher in the air, missed again and it hit a tile floor.

Piston would only partly clear the gas cylinder on the tilt test.

Don't drop your gas piston. Keep spare parts. always do the two tilt tests.

That is all.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
so I carelessly dropped my gas piston, tried to catch it before it hit the floor and sent spinning even higher in the air, missed again and it hit a tile floor.

Piston would only partly clear the gas cylinder on the tilt test.

Don't drop your gas piston. Keep spare parts. always do the two tilt tests.

That is all.
I wouldn't think it was that fragile unless it gouged on you.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't consider burrs. It was spinning end over end, quickly, and after my botched catch it went at least 8 ft high and across the room, then bounced a good two feet back in the air

Tried it in another rifle, same thing

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I'd be really surprised if you actually bent the piston. Burred or dinged up, yes. Bent, probably not. Check it with a magnifying glass for burrs.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the same way about bending something that way. I do believe it was a commercial piston, will have to find it. I got po'd and threw it in a junk box. Will examine more closely and let y'all know.

·
Forum Jester
8,208 Posts
aren't you glad your johnson is attached?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.