M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I hadn't shot skeet for a year or more. But I couldn't hit a clay pigeon to save my life with this gun! The barrel's short, the pistol grip is weird for flying targets, and the sights are, uh, worse than useless for skeet. Plus the gun seems to shoot considerably low even when aiming at a stationary target out 20+ yards or so.

It did function fine with 3" magnum steel shells (#3) and 2-3/4" target loads (#8).

The length of pull is very short for me. I may have to look into changing that.

Obviously, I didn't buy this shotgun for skeet shooting. However, it's always good to get familiar with each firearm. Benelli's "cartridge release lever" is a whole new concept for me, but at least I "get it" now.

Maybe a low-cost red dot sight would help with the skeet? I'd need to get it over the iron sights though...

Reactions: Thompson45

·
Registered
309 Posts
Maybe a low-cost red dot sight would help with the skeet? I'd need to get it over the iron sights though...
I have an EOTech 552 on my Benelli M1 Super90. Makes the shotgun a real street sweeper.

I also have an M4 Benelli. I do not have any special optics on it. I want certain rifles and shotguns very simple for survival purposes, that means no batteries and no fancy optics. Open sights only. That would be my M4 Benelli, AK47 and one of my AR15s.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
For my M3 I also had the 26" sporting barrel with screw chokes , the conventional stock and the pistol grip stock. With the right accessories you can make a defense gun into an all around shotgun It's amusing shooting clays or skeet with it and I never experienced problems with the right barrel as a matter of fact it shot quite well..I'm not familiar with the M4 but the m-1, m-2, and m-3 use the super 90 based barrels. I no longer have the shotgun but still have the extra barrel/chokes and stock.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ajgray... shooting skeet with an M4, too cool! Is that with a pistol grip stock and open sights?

I want to try it! Any tips for transition from a bead sight and field stock?
YES - any tips for adjusting to the short barrel, pistol grip and ghost ring sights would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Next purchase is a semi-auto shotgun. Something from the Benelli line. Pump is too slow. Recommendations for a self defense Benelli ?

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
How much money do you have? How strong are you? :D

The M2 feels like it weighs about half what the M4 weighs. And costs about half. GI1

Reactions: 008

·
Registered
248 Posts
I grew up shooting competition rimfire rifle but couldn't hit a barn with a shotgun until I got ahold of a Benelli M4. Didn't understand why until someone on Benelli's website stated that the m4 is a shotgun that shoots more like a rifle. I can't say if that's true or not, but given my skill sets, I believe it.

I now have a Benelli Vinci for skeet (my range won't allow 18" barrels for skeet/clay shooting). It's a very soft kick that my wife is willing to shoot. But the truth remains that while I have completed this forum's accuracy challenge, I still suck with a regular shotgun DISHOUT

I love my m4 though. Accurate at distance, soft and fast shooting, I can put a lot of lead on target before the first empty hits the ground. I keep some Brenneke Black Magic Magnum slugs in the side saddle in case I need to stop a Cadillac or demo a brick wall. DI5

·
Registered
385 Posts
What I do is look past the ghost ring(through it and it becomes invisible) and only worry about the front sight. Also use the barrel as a line of sight, just as if it had a bead on it. My m4 is sighted in at 100yrds with 1oz slugs and don't re adjust for birdshot

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
They are quite a bit of fun.

In a past life I shot quite a bit of shotgun. I see no advantage to gearing up with a red dot or the like unless your hunting with slugs.

The platform allows for a certain amount of slop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.