M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first M1A, 081435, was born on 1 June 1994 at SA, INC. It started as a standard M1A walnut NIB (pre-ban). Purchased at Down Under Guns, Fairbanks, Alaska on 27 May 1996 (the day I got back from Thailand and after 6 months of layaway by me). The next day I got promoted to 1st LT. When the BN CMDR told the group: "You new 1LTs...you get a raise...tell us what you are going to do with your raise. I already know what 1LT [bren10man] is going to do...he is going to buy another gun.." I replied: "Sir, it is in the truck outside." "What did you get?" He asked... "An M14." I replied. You could hear a "HUH!!!" out loud. After the promotion, I led a line of folks outside to my truck for show and tell. The pool of drool from their mouths got deep.

(that winter, after a summer of shooting NRA high-power matches with it, it got the full AMU treatment by our BDE armament tech who used to be the chief gunsmith at AMU at Fort Benning....he placed #62 in the President's Hundred at Camp Perry Summer 1997.)

Key thing to remember: this was ALSO destiny, we were meant for each other: 1 week after its birth, I attended 2 ceremonies in my honor on 8 June 1994: First: that morning, my commissioning ceremony. Second, that afternoon, I walked across the stage and received my diploma from Auburn University. That day, I became an Auburn man forever. War DAMN Eagle!!!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Great story, thanks for sharing. And, thanks for your service and belated happy birthday to your rifle!

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,431 Posts
Happy birthday to your M1A! BEERCHUG1
A man's love for his rifle is a beautiful thing.
m14brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts