M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks harmless but this storm has me trying to convince my 7 year old that the BARE minimum of being prepared for anything is to know where your shoes are.

No suspicious hooks or rotation but I check the cellar for supplies and foodstuffs as well as dryness anyway.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Anytime I see red or dark red radar returns I start checking things just in case. In the almost 40 years living out here we've had zero tornadoes within a five mile radius, radius, but tomorrow may be the day. You never know when Mother Nature may get P-Oed at you.
I'm more worried about straight line winds. Two roofs, three trees and a couple of storage buildings, not to mention branches down, a swimming pool (3/4 full and we never found it!), lawn furniture and other stuff blown over/around! We've had more damage from thunderstorm winds than hurricanes Opal and Ivan here. Not to mention the damage from lightning strikes.
Emergency preparation isn't just for SHTF situations, bad weather is just as deadly if you're not prepared and aware when it happens. You've got to ready for any situation no matter how minor it may seem. It will bite you when least expected...be ready.

·
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen three twisters
As a child we always did tornado drills..

"Walk calm to the basement" they said.

Well one day the alarm rang in our windowless room and we ran out and the teachers all screamed "run run run"

A small tornado was across the road throwing all sorts of stuff

The class tough guy (as tough guy as a 4th grader can be) fell to his knees in tears and myself and a classmate had to drag him to the basement.

Noone was hurt beyond minor cuts thankfully.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have seen three twisters
As a child we always did tornado drills..

"Walk calm to the basement" they said.

Well one day the alarm rang in our windowless room and we ran out and the teachers all screamed "run run run"

A small tornado was across the road throwing all sorts of stuff

The class tough guy (as tough guy as a 4th grader can be) fell to his knees in tears and myself and a classmate had to drag him to the basement.

Noone was hurt beyond minor cuts thankfully.
All the best laid plans can go to H3LL so quickly if people dont know how to execute while under duress...its one thing to walk calmly to the basement when it is sunny out, quite another if you can hear the tornado roaring outside or stuff hitting the building.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
In Nebraska they still tell people to go to the basement, but from what i have read, most of the people whole die during tornados are in the basement when the house collaspes on them. The rest are hit in the head by flying debris.

When I first got to Nebraska, I made sure I brought my Navy flight deck cranial with me. I also made sure i would make for a large culvert under the road next to my first house. Kitty cage in hand.

·
Registered
823 Posts
In Nebraska they still tell people to go to the basement, but from what i have read, most of the people whole die during tornados are in the basement when the house collaspes on them. The rest are hit in the head by flying debris.

When I first got to Nebraska, I made sure I brought my Navy flight deck cranial with me. I also made sure i would make for a large culvert under the road next to my first house. Kitty cage in hand.
I like the culvert idea

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Living in Texas we get as used to tornadoes as I guess you can.In the eighties one developed and came right at a jobsite I was on, we all hit the ditch and tried to become one with the mud as the tornado came within 75/100yds from us, everyone was safe except for the project manager who had hopped in his pickup and took off. He was the only fatality that day.

·
Registered
847 Posts
As a Florida native, been in countless "super cell storms" and several hurricanes( which spawn dozens of tornadoes). A typical Summer rain pattern down here is a daily event of high winds, hail, and a thousand lightning strikes a minute, every day.

IMO, all it takes is one bad one and NO ONE needs any more convincing.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I like the culvert idea
The problem with culverts is they become natural wind tunnels and funnel debris. Not to mention culverts are designed to take on extra flooding, which is what will likely happen in a tornado.

IN hurricanes and tornadoes, flying debris is the big killer. Underground shelters away from the house are the best bet.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Knowing where your shoes are, and having a charged phone......your screen shot says you'd better plug in your phone ;-)

·
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Knowing where your shoes are, and having a charged phone......your screen shot says you'd better plug in your phone ;-)
Samsung , spare battery for the win!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts