M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is best ti change out before the barrel to Krieger....what should I look at changing out? It's a standard Springfield and I have no particular goal other than to mess with it. That's part of the fun for me....

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you have no special goal to achieve, my suggestion is take your rifle down to pieces to become familiar and learn it well. Put it all back together cleaned and lubed properly then head to the range with quality ammo and enjoy!! Nothing wrong with a box stock Springer for having fun plinking or hunting. No Kreiger needed.

·
Registered
826 Posts
+1 on what SmokeyBaer said. Take it to the range after disassembly and shoot the daylights out of it. You may find things you want to change, you may just love it the way it is. So sense changing out the barrel till you know what you want from the rifle.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Unitizing is when you have the front band attached to the gas cylinder making the way the barrel and the stock return to each other after firing a bit more consistant

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interestingly enough, Krieger does this (unitized gas) automatically when they fit your barrel.

I was thinking of having them do:

Heavy, stainless barrel 1-11 twist
Obermeyer chamber
Unitized gas system (included)
Oversize op rod guide (also included)
Full Glass bed

Already have USCG muzzle brake and Krieger rear sight hood.

Yes, I know this is not cheap but I can't take it with me and I'll be damned if I'll leave it for my wife's next husband or GOD FORBID! My new son-in-law.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
What you are proposing w/ the Krieger arrangement would make for a very nice Serv. Match rifle. Have had very similar rifles in the past while shooting XC but would point out that w/ the Heavy Barrel the overall weight of the rifle does not lend itself to casual/field use. If plans are to use in match application bulk of the time you would have "top cabin" set up or shooting from the bench/bags but not so much otherwise. Sometime ago went with the medium wt. barrel and found it much more useable for whatever, matches or just casual shooting. Just a thought.

·
Registered
128 Posts
standard springfield

Before you spend a boatload see what it will do as is.
I resently tried a forum members load that is phenomenal.
I can not see where a Kreiger barrel could impove my current groups.
Dont spend the $$ unless you absolutely need to.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I should point out that I am tired...er, I mean retired. Therefore, I shoot from the bench and have my grandkids go get the targets. While I have a scope, it's more fun that way....so weight of the rifle is really not an issue. Heck, if it gets too heavy, I just hand the case to one of them. It would look like army ants carrying off a centipede.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I would check threads about this

I read recently a member sent his receiver to Keriger to have some work done and it came back incomplete. If you are going to go the whole nine yards there a very good smiths on this site I would use them.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
When it doesn't shoot the way you want it to.

Also I would get a criterion stainless 10 or 11 twist medium profile rather than a kreiger.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes sir, i run that trigger and hammer, and give my approval, anything particular you want to know?
General opinion? Also, he says that he only has the "light" hammer in stock. Is there a downside to going with that? I would assume it would give faster lock time.

Were there any installation issues? He claims it's a "drop in". In the past, I have just about dropped dead fitting drop in parts...

Anything you don't like about them?

Thanks so much....

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
they do what he says they do on his website, there are no suprises. i had the privilege of meeting Art at a local hi power match, great guy and good to talk with. the lightweight hammer may not suit you though, it really shines in my opinion, in the offhand, there you notice the faster lock time when your swinging all around the black. the trigger is very crisp and should put it at or a little over 4.5lbs no more than 5lbs, it feels very nice breaking glass. they are expensive but ever since i played around with an LRB match rifle with Arts tigger parts at Camp Perry 4 years back i have been putting up nickles till i finally broke down and bought the set. as for the price, there is alot of ingenuity in those 2 parts, he adds 2 set screws a modified spring housing plus boring out the hammer so considering the time and engineering put in the parts there worth it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got the invoice from Kreiger....the barrel and work are scheduled for February of 2015....Maybe I should leave it in my will for my grandson to finish.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Should've bought some tools and performed the work yourself. It ain't rocket science to index and HS a bolt to these puppies.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts