M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I have been trying to be a good steward of the M1A / Socom but I have to make you laugh.

Here we go. So I purchase a low bassett mount since I got my irons to shoot true. Man was I excited. Here is where it falls apart.

Ordered incorrect scope rings. Dag gone amazon is what I would like to say but it was me, rookie idiot.

So I send my wife to pick up a set of low scope rings up the road. They work! Yes, sent my wife.

I end up taking off my scout rail. Yes, in thirty minutes I lost one of the nuts. ( anyone know where I can get a spare?)

Finally getting my rifle to get on paper and I think to my self, hmmmm, why don't I add an off set laser for short range. So I go to put my scout rail back on and viola, I put the bottom portion of the mount on backwards which causes the op rod to jam. Thirty minutes of my life that could have been spent on the board. The good news was my gas lock bolt must have come loose and saw this 33 minuets into the debacle. So now I take the muzzle brake off. Now I'm sure I have bent my op rod trying to get the bottom mount off. So I finally get it free and start to add the rail back correctly. Well now I'm worried about the clearance and decide to take it off. Idiot.

So I am reassembling and I'm sure the muzzle brake was tighter when I took it off and now I need to shim it. ( hell no for this moron)

I try but I have no mechanical ability or confidence at all. I sure hope the rifle stay accurate since it was starting to shoot groups really well.

If your thinking, man everyone goes through this then please note I did major damage to my ar tube installing a ambidextrous single point sling mount BEFORE I FIRED IT.

Where do you learn how to NOT hurt my rifles? I would love a one day gun smithing class. Man, I would fly you to Mississippi.

Love my Socom, I just hope I don't ruin it before I get it sighted in.

Rr

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I'd recommend not working on your vehicles brakes.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Lessons Learned.......

My Dad raised me with many sayings....... One of them was "Son, do something even if it's wrong".......

In his Fatherly wisdom, he knew that even doing something wrong and then correcting it.......... There was a lesson to be learned.

I have people frequently tell me how often I was right about something.

In my mind, I'm saying "You will never know how many things I did wrong in order to get them right at a later date.

Life is a learning process..... Never stop learning...... Even if it is by your mistakes.

Hobo

·
Registered
425 Posts
When it comes to firearms, those who are not mechanically inclined or lacking in experience are better served taking their gun to a qualified gunsmith. They tend to be expensive items to "practice" on.

Hobo is right, but sometimes you're better off learning by watching someone who knows what they are doing than trying yourself and learning the expensive way. Not to mention the potential for harming yourself.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or pack my own parachute
Well,

I agree with some of you. Not working on brakes or packing a chute anytime soon! I need and want to learn and that always goes a long way in my book. I didn't have the benefit of learning repair as I grew up. That is what stunk about growing up in white collar land.

I think I learned a valuable lesson. Here it is. 1. Have a reference point, like Tony's videos or an instruction guide (or Both). 2. Always ALWAYS, do a mock up up of what your assembling. I didn't do that.

It may cost me some $ breaking stuff, but I'll pass that information on to someone one day.

Rr

·
Registered
81 Posts
One thing I have found really helps for finding small steel parts on the floor: Get yourself a good sized rare earth magnet and tape a string to it. Drag the magnet around on the floor and you'll find everything made of steel you ever dropped.

I have one that is about 1" x 1/2" x 1/2". It will pick up a 25lb cast iron dumbbell without any problem.

Regarding the rest of your story: I feel your pain. My father used to say that "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing." I have found this to be true on several occasions and have more than a few "what the heck did I just do?" moments.

·
Super Moderator
11,382 Posts
I applaud you for trying. I don't know the extent of your mechanical background but I'll say that exposure and experience is the only way to learn. Don't get discouraged in your failures. I remember in my youth that tighter must be better. I don't know how many 13/16ths deep well sockets I split before I learned that lug nuts don't need that much torque and that a 3 foot jack handle was not needed to compliment a 2 foot breaker bar (unless torquing down tail rotor bolts on a CH-53E in which case you need 2 Marines on the end doing pull-ups until the torque wrench clicks).

I guarantee you that you'll know how to break it down with your eyes closed in the not too distant future. When I first started glass bedding M14's I think I failed three times in a really bad way until I finally got one that was good enough to work. They've only gotten better from there. Be patient, but determined. Soon enough, you'll be able to give advice to others that are going through what you are going through now.

Be patient and persistent. You'll get there. Once it works well, you'll feel better because you'll know that you made it work.

Good luck! Tony.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Do your research, study tonybens video's thoroughly, go slowly,try not to force anything. If all these suggestions from the forum don't help, I have met a few guys in my life that would have been far ahead of the game if they had just thrown their toolbox away. Not anything wrong with them particulary, it just turned out the Lord gave them talents that were in other non mechanical area's. One good friend that comes to mind was an outstanding painter and sign maker, but he could do some serious damage with a wrench and a screwdriver .You sound a lot better off mechanically than he was, Keep the faith you'll get there & good luck

Reactions: tonyben
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.