M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this previously bedded stock for a new build. The link below has pics of the bedding. IMHO, the quality of the bedding is subpar and I'm very disappointed.

M1A Stock

Username: m1a
Password: mif196

(If you click on the Slideshow link at the bottom you will see full size pics)

Here is the true purpose of this post. I've read several posts in the Stock forum about using, repairing and/or re-lining existing bedding. I'm interested in your opinion about whether I should attempt to reline this (after cleaning it up a bit) or simply dig it out and re-bed it? Or make a nice lamp? MCORPS1

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
The pictures show a pretty rough bedding job, but it's close and I think you will have an easy time of cleaning it up, re-routing some of the old bedding and redoing the bedding job. If the stock is a nice looking stock then you should be in good shape.

IMO, it is certainly salvageable. Since this stock was not bedded to your action in the first place, it does not seem like any real loss.

I saw some voids in the area where the rear of the legs contact the stock, the rear bedded area (horseshoe) might have only had bedding on the stock without any routing, the connector bridge area should be redone. Try and see if a magazine will go into the stock and if its too tight, then the mag well will need to be cleaned up.

But in any case, it doesn't really look that bad and certainly can be redone!

I have used the Kuhnhausen and the Duff books as bench reference and Art's video for inspiration!

Good luck, but I am sure it will be a fun project!

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Beding issue

The stock should be re- routed and fresh bedding installed, as Tom O says, "since it was not bedded to this particular action it will not serve any positive purpose." Any attempt to clean it up is a waste of effort, money and time. Art

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback fellas. I've decided to make a winter project out of this as the walnut is very nice IMHO. BGRIN1

I will start from scratch (reroute and new bedding) as you suggest Art.

Thanks again!

Fred

I found these videos and Duff's book on Amazon:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Bedding-M1A-M14-Luppino/dp/B00029YM6C/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3E8ESMWRTWAV5&colid=2JBP3KWNNTCYN"]Glass Bedding M1A/M14[/ame] with Art Luppino

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rifle-Cleaning-Maintenance-Improved-Accuracy/dp/B00029YM62/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IQZ6OWARA74S7&colid=2JBP3KWNNTCYN"]M1A/M14 Rifle Cleaning & Mainte​nance for Improved Accuracy[/ame] with Lenny Magill

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/owners-guide-match-conditioning-instructions/dp/188872207X/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IAVI7BIB47R4D&colid=2JBP3KWNNTCYN"]"The M14 owner's guide and match conditioning instructions"[/ame] [Paperback] by Scott A Duff

I googled for "The US .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles: A Shop Manual" Volumes I and II by Jerry Kuhnhausen (Paperback - 1995) and haven't found them for sale yet, but will keep looking.

I also found this link with fairly detailed pics and comments:

Bedding the M1A by "larryw"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts