M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this will sound like a stupid question, but I've never had to do a bedding job before, so please bare with me.

Are M1A bedding jobs just around the receiver? Or do they cover the barrel area too? Wouldn't that mean that the barrel is no longer free floating?

Isn't the barrel not free floating anyway since the harness around the gas system connect to the front of the stock??

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes.No.Yes.Yes. ;) Bedding an M1A/M14 is just around the receiver. It's kinda tricky for the first timer so please get good instructions and a spare stock. Use the spare stock to practice on. If you don't and end up sticking the receiver in the stock you'll end up breaking the stock trying to get it out. The M1A/M14 barrels are not truly free floated. Like you said, there is the GC assembly that is hanging on the end of the barrel playing havoc with the precious barrel harmonics. The way you "get around" the GC assembly is to have adequate upward pressure on the barrel band via the barrel. That way there's solid contact between the barrel band and the barrel. Solid contact is better than "loose" contact. Simp

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
matterhorn762 said:
I'm sure this will sound like a stupid question, but I've never had to do a bedding job before, so please bare with me.

Are M1A bedding jobs just around the receiver?

If you've never bedded a M14 type rifle, you may want to leave it to somebody who knows how.
Not only will ya go bald from pulling your hair out because it's a tedious job that must be done correctly but, if not done correctly, can and will cause premature wear on parts and, the safectly factor doesn't make it a job for inexperienced folks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I didn't mean I was going to do it myself. I'm definitely going to have somebody more experience do it for me.

The only question I have left is... if I keep using this as a field/hunting rifle, or general SHTF rifle, can I go wrong if I have a bedding job? I'm not happy with the current MOA and I want to accurize a bit... at least below 2 MOA. But I don't think a heavy barrel or a McMillan stock are good options due to the weight.

Can I have a my receiver bedded to a walnut stock and still use it for the field?

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
If ya want better accuracy from a standard rifle, the best thing to do is find and buy a stock that fits nice and tight (receiver legs to stock) , like it should, which is the next best thing to a bedding job.

If ya do decide to bed it, I suggest using steel bed or Marine Tex which will out last the Acra glass stuff 10 to 1.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Bedding won't prevent the rifle from being rugged. There's lots of different bedding schemes. There are somewhat skin-and-bones schemes that are designed for a more casual use/hunting rifle. These are just strips of epoxy that support the recoil surfaces on the receiver legs. For heavy use match rifles, lots of wood is hogged out and the receiver contacts nothing but epoxy on all sides.

You generally bed so that the barrel is at a slight up-angle. This makes the stock pull down on the barrel up at the gas system and helps dampen out all the odd things that happen when you have to attach rods, handguards and gas systems onto the barrel.

It is something you can do yourself, but there's lots of ways to screw it up as Warbird mentioned below.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,816 Posts
Free Floating M14

The Marine's had good luck free floating their match M14's. They also used double lugged receivers and heavy barrels. Even then, not all rifles responded well to the free float treatment and many were rebuilt till they would. Civilians don't usually have the capacity, parts, or patients to deal with free floating M14 barrels. Much more consistant results are acheived with pressure bedding the front band and stock farrel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.