M14 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Wow, those look really good.

I know I mentioned it before, but if you could team up a company like McMillan or AG Composites to come out with a , I can see this sort of system really offering competition to all the other chassis systems out there in terms of accuracy. Personally, I know that I love the look and feel of the traditional M14 stock design, so if I could keep that, but have the rock solid bedding surfaces your system offers without having to learn the all the bedding voodoo that master armorers have had to figure out over their entire career, I would jump on it... and I am pretty sure all the M14 competitive shooters would take a hard look at it as well...if the accuracy results pan out the way I expect they will.

Looking at your earlier pictures, it seems that inletting a stock to accept your pillars, would take some skill.... is this a service you might offer in the future if the results are where you were hoping they'd be? I know that I don't have the tools to do such a precise job, but it seems that someone with a CNC and a consistent jig could knock that out in no time.

·
Eye Master
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I talked to McMillan at the SHOT show in Vegas. They indicated if I sent them samples, they'd develop the CNC code to allow people to order inletting for these liners.

The rear pillar is not that difficult. The first one pictured I did on a CNC, so all the curves blend nicely, but the second one, I told my tool and die guy that he was only allowed to use a drill press and a dremmel. It was not as pretty, but it worked.

These parts are still going to be epoxied in, so the epoxy will fill any voids.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Art

I am impressed. Hope your idea gets some traction in the market.

As to: WOW! There are some sharp edges back when I designed my test fixtures and prototype tooling, standard procedure was to add "BREAK ALL SHARP CORNERS" to the drawing.

Fewer bandages required when using the stuff.

·
Eye Master
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Looks real good which stock type do you think it will work better with wood or fiberglass ?
I have built this into a wood stock, so I know that works. I have not tried a USGI fiberglass, nor a McMillan yet. So in terms of what I KNOW works, it is wood. TBD how other options develop. I want this to work in a McMillan, or at least a Big Red.

·
Banned
844 Posts
Wow, this looks really promising! I have thought about this idea for years, and wondered why it wasn't available.

When I was looking at it and talking to a friend about it, we both think it should be a one piece unit like JAE does it (rigidity).

I asked Lisa years ago when a JAE with the same system was going to be available in a USGI style stock. I like your idea very much.

·
Eye Master
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes, I'm having a small batch of 50 sets made by a local machine shop. Unfortunately, they are busy, and told me it'll be another 2 weeks before they can get to it.

I did some research, and it turns out that epoxy really likes to bond to the slightly porous surface of anodized aluminum, so I'm going with aluminum versus steel.

This offering will be 3 pieces: the 2 sides and the rear pillar. I thought about trying a 1 piece unit, but I'm not sure if it is feasible, because to make room, you have to cut away so much wood in the stock, that there is a high risk of breaking through, and once you have compromised the alignment of the stock, you are dead.

Going it, I'm guessing these will run in the $150-200 range for a set, though given that they will save multiple hours in the bedding process and give a superior result, it ought to be well worth it.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
At some point a "before & after" test series will need to be run to verify that improvements in accuracy are consistent from rifle to rifle. Same ammo, same range conditions, same shoorter, same sights.

Have you factored in the expansion of aluminum being greater than steel? Should actually tighten the contact during a match string of firing but will not know if this has a positive or negative effect until real world use.

Also - only real world testing will show if there is any wearing down of the aluminum due to the recoil of the much harder steel parts against it.

·
Eye Master
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I could make these out of steel. It would slow the machining, and increase cost by $30 to $40, but would not be difficult if needed.

Today, the EBR stocks are aluminum, and USGI fiberglass or McMillan fiberglass match stocks do not use stock liners. So I do not see a convincing argument yet that aluminum will not stand up to the recoil. Further, I was reading up on prepping metal for epoxy, and it seems that anodized aluminum is rough/porous on a microscopic level, so it LOVES epoxy, so that's whet I chose for my first batch.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts