M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody may already know this, except me. There is a big difference between products such a JB Weld and Plastic steel and others in terms of their bonding qualities.

A recent custom brought his M1A in for accuracy problems, stringing vertical 4 to 5 inches at 100 yds. Most of the time this problem can be traced to the Gas System, at least that is my first place to start.

The rifle was inspected and nothing could be found in the way of cause. On reassembly, just by chance, I noticed the Stock Ferrule appeared to shift while engaging the FB lip. On closer, second inspection, the SF was installed on the Mating Tenon with a black material, but it could be pulled off the Mating Tenon with gentle finger pressure.

The Stock Ferule had been installed on the Mating Tenon using the same material used for bedding this particular M1A, I do not know what this material was, but it did not have bonding qualities, it did look like a nice job however.

If you are considering bonding some part to another on your rifle, it will be in your best interest to read the Bonding qualities of the product before assuming it will do the job. Since I use JB Weld or Marine Tex, when I can get it, this has not been an issue..

More to the point, a Matched Conditioned M1A that uses the Stock Liner, the stock liner should be removed, modified if not already, and epoxied, not bedded, back into the stock and allowed to dry before the bedding operation.
If the Material used to do this stock liner job does not have good Bonding qualities you are going to have an issue that is very difficult to detect...

Stock Bedding products are not necessary good bonding products, Epoxies, such as JB Weld, made in Texas by the way,, also works well for Bedding the M1A.. Art

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thats good timing. As I write my trigger group is sitting up. I used JB Weld regular for the receiver also. I'll know tomorrow after I get back from the vet, how I did.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts