M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past couple of years more Members are taking on the Bedding of their M1A's. Those that have posted pictures have done a good job and the Art will not be lost.

Once the rifle has been removed from a fresh bedding and the basic cleaning up is completed there is still the secondary task of making clearance cuts. This is a subject that I have not seen addressed on the Forum, or for that matter anywhere. What I have seen, is several well done bedding jobs by non- professionals and several done by Top of the Line outfits, the most recent one inspected was done in Arizona. The surprise was, what was not done, overall a pleasing to the eye bedding job that anyone would otherwise be proud of,

When the proper clearance cuts are overlooked or unrealized, it matters little how well the rifle was bedded, if realizing the top limit of accuracy is your Goal. There may be improvement in Accuracy, but it will be limited for lack of another half hour of work. I think you get the point.

Most owners would not believe just how small or little of un-removed bedding material can and will interfere,
This is the draw back of "Doing it yourself", Knowing what to look for and how to remove it is gained by experience. There is no reason why this information can not be made available to interested Members. It requires someone that can and is willing to do the picture thing and have them posted. That leaves me out, I would be happy to give the demo, anybody in the area that wishes to be involved send a Post and we can serve the Members of this Forum. Art

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just bought a fiberglass stock from LAW483 that requires bedding. I could try to do the picture thing, I just hope I don't embarrass myself. I bedded my SA M1A once already with mixed success. It works now, but doesn't look the greatest. This new stock though should be the bees knees for rigidity and climate stability. It may be a while though before I get started on this; I think I want to get it rebarreled first.

·
"Death From Above"
11,442 Posts
Art as always you have my attention. Might you be willing to give a description on one of the cuts? I know nothing about bedding.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Art, are you talking about the 1 & 1/2" of relief at the top of the wood just ahead of the heel bedding? We don't have a digital camera that I know how to use or I'd send up a couple of photos. Actually, the cutting tool I use for that is a slow file, which allows better control than a knife or chisel. It's the same cut as in glass-bedding a M1.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Art,

When I have you do my bedding, I'll bring my Digital camera & we can take photo's of the procedure.

We'll have to set a date to do this.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Art,

I'll play. I can take pictures and post them for you. Two hour drive from Austin is no problem I am retired we can do it during the week since I shoot in matches on weekends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts