M14 Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Tonight my father and I were exchanging funny stories and quirks about our branches of service. He was Navy 67-71 and I was Army 03-05. Anyway, he was saying that they were served beans for breakfast on Wednesday morning, or at least they were available. Through a quick google search I found very little. It seems no one from at least the 80's on knows anything about it and it may have been some British tradition.

Just curious, any knowledge?

· Registered
2 Posts
Seabees 6/48 5/52. Boot camp @ san diego, driver school port hueneme cal, little creek, va, NOB(Navy operating base)bermuda, NABase port lyautey morroco, per diem naples 51/52. Wed Beans and corn bread and raw onions on side. Fridays fish. Sunday noon seagull (1/2 chicken split down middle), sunday evening cold cuts. Same menu every base i was stationed on. Per diem was NATO was being set up for Italy to join no bases were available. End WWII was only 2 years old, we were not allowed to wear uniforms except at duty station. The menu outlined above never varied except days other than W F S. Prior to per diem we were housed in a hotel for 3 weeks. Was found out that Lucky Luciano was owner and had just been deported out we went. Per diem was $16 for first 90 days then dropped to $12.75 a day. My salary as 2c driver w/4 yr longivity, $20 overseas pay $240 mo. Per diem and pay made Naples lucrative duty. Civies even better. Never missed beans, fish, seagull, and pet name for cold cuts, horsec**k. I am 91 so that gives me some credibility on this bean for breakfast issue.

· Registered
1 Posts
Tonight my father and I were exchanging funny stories and quirks about our branches of service. He was Navy 67-71 and I was Army 03-05. Anyway, he was saying that they were served beans for breakfast on Wednesday morning, or at least they were available. Through a quick google search I found very little. It seems no one from at least the 80's on knows anything about it and it may have been some British tradition.

Just curious, any knowledge?
Active duty '65-'71. Had beans and cornbread every week for breakfast every week. I always thought this was a navy tradition. I'm suprised there aren't more comments about it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.