M14 Forum banner

Beans for breakfast on Wednesday? Naval tradition?

5810 23
Tonight my father and I were exchanging funny stories and quirks about our branches of service. He was Navy 67-71 and I was Army 03-05. Anyway, he was saying that they were served beans for breakfast on Wednesday morning, or at least they were available. Through a quick google search I found very little. It seems no one from at least the 80's on knows anything about it and it may have been some British tradition.

Just curious, any knowledge?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,329 Posts
1977-2001 I served on several ships and submarines, but I don't recall that one.

Reactions: dwight55

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Served on USS Henley (DD762) for USNR cruises and training. We had Spam and baked beans for breakfast on quite a few mornings; not sure of the day of week, though. Sopping Spam and bread in baked bean juices was pretty tasty.

· Registered
408 Posts
My father...

loved Navy Bean Soup and talked about how it was servable in coffee mugs while at General Quarters in WW11. He was in a lot of General Quarters situations.
He was Captain of the ship and would have the "Soup" delivered by the mess/cooks to the crew at their station.
He also introduced my family to "Gobble-de-g**k" (his words). It was breakfast in a mug...featured soft-boiled eggs,bacon, toast and butter...all crumbled up and mixed up in a mug. Ate it with a spoon. All kids love it! Try it, you'll like it. Gets better with Sour dough bread and real butter (lot's of it). He claimed his cook invented the stuff so that it was a way to feed the troops while in "the zone". He also loved SOS when he could get "the good stuff".

· Registered
3,405 Posts
The only beans or bean soup that was memorable for me was on the USS Hamner DD718, . . . saw the navy bean soup, . . . big aluminum tray of corn bread, . . . thought YUMMMM.

Bean soup was OK, . . . didn't have any onions or tomatoes to put in it (usual fare at home).

Corn bread was made like cake, with sugar, . . . I about gagged.

Anyway, . . . 4 1/2 years, . . . don't recollect beans for breakfast.

On the other hand, . . . had a national guard buddy who went to Scotland for a 2 week "soldier exchange" thing back in the early 80's, . . . the Scots had beans for breakfast every day, . . . kinda like replacing our bacon and eggs.

May God bless,
Dwight

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Sure it was beans and not rat/roach crap? USN2 Mystery meat vs mystery beans...legends from beyond!!

· Registered
3,839 Posts
Interesting question, I hope you get an answer.

USS Raleigh LPD-1 in 1988, USS Belleau Wood LHA-3 1993 never saw beans for breakfast. Not a bad idea though. Midrats were always sammiches and koolaid.

"Bean component. Not for inflight/preflight use." Nyuk. dance2

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Beans for soup, beans when hamburgers & hotdogs served, sometimes midrats as well.

The one meal I remember (other than surf & turf in the Chief's mess) was my first meal in the Navy. Tomato soup for breakfast.

Bruce

· Senior Chief, U. S. Navy, Ret
435 Posts
I can't recall beans ever being served for breakfast during my time in the Navy (1968-88).

· Registered
783 Posts
1967-1972 but never saw a scheduled "beans for breakfast" if my memory is correct. WWII may be a different story since my father served on a DD in the Pacific for most of the big invasions. There were several times when the only food on board was beans and mutton plus whatever fish might be available. He ate lamb but declined on mutton the rest of his life.

Nelson

· Premium Member
22,381 Posts
Never had beans for breakfast in the Marine Corps from 66 - 70. My dad was in the Navy in the South Pacific in 1944 and 45 serving on an LST and said if he never saw another bean or a piece of mutton, it would be too soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.