M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody tried it?

My understanding is that the SAI Scout/Bush barrel is 18", and a bayonet lug interferes with getting the gas plug in/out of the gas cyl. True?

The Criterion version is available as an 18.5" barrel. Does that extra half inch allow a standard gas plug to work with a bayonet lug? Anybody tried?

What about the SEI Socom short gas plug? Anybody tried that on an 18" or 18.5" with a bayonet lug?

Thanks guys and gals. MCORPS1

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Even with the Socom plug and the 18.5" bbl. it won't work. I have some ideas but I haven't worked on it yet. Still need another 1/4" to make it work. If I ever get it done I will surely post the results. Maybe someone else has done it but I am not aware of it.

With the Socom plug and the 18.5 it isn't the interference with the lug so much as just not enough room to latch the bayonet. I can remove the plug ok.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even with the Socom plug and the 18.5" bbl. it won't work. I have some ideas but I haven't worked on it yet. Still need another 1/4" to make it work. If I ever get it done I will surely post the results. Maybe someone else has done it but I am not aware of it.

With the Socom plug and the 18.5 it isn't the interference with the lug so much as just not enough room to latch the bayonet. I can remove the plug ok.
Roger, great info, thank you!

Sounds like Criterion needs to make a chrome lined 19" barrel. I smell a group buy. Heh heh... DI5

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Roger, great info, thank you!

Sounds like Criterion needs to make a chrome lined 19" barrel. I smell a group buy. Heh heh... DI5
My thoughts exactly, but where there is a will there must be a way. I will do it, just might take some time. I just think a real battle rifle should at least have the capability of mounting a bayonet, old school I know. GI8

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Contact Mike Sadlack and ask to commission him to build an extended length piston, then cut the gas plug down by that much, only a 1/4" needed should work, and maybe open up a whole new market for Sadlack Industries.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I have been wanting a 20in barrel for this reason for a long time.

You get the best of both worlds, bayonet lug, velocity and a barrel that is shorter and asteticly pleaseing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can get an M-6 on an 18.5'' barreled M-14 if you make a shorter gas plug. We've done it to two. The internal volume of the gas plug must be maintained however. Take your plug to a machinist, tell him you want one "like this" but shorter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts