M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wish I could find the pic of the test done on a Yamato class gun face plate 20 inches of face hardened plate
Pretty sure that picture is the only one running around. Internet search turns up that picture and different angles also labeled as Yamamoto, but hull steel. Some blogs reference the picture as part of front armor of the gun turret.

This site was referenced for the test. Last paragraph in the Final Comments are a very interesting read.

History and Technology - Ballistic Tests on the IJN Shinano's Turret Face Armor - NavWeaps

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When Shinanno was turned into a Carrier the guns had been made her and never used wonder why they didn't use them as fixed gun in placement to defend Japan

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
When Shinanno was turned into a Carrier the guns had been made her and never used wonder why they didn't use them as fixed gun in placement to defend Japan
The guns were never completed:

A total of 27 guns were produced, with the first one being completed in March 1938 and tested at the Kamegakubi proving grounds. Eighteen of these guns were lost with Yamato and Musashi, two test guns at Kamegakubi were demolished in November 1945 in accordance with the general disarmament orders of the U.S. Army and the remaining seven were found in various stages of completion on the beach in a cove north of Kamegakubi. Five of these remaining guns were destroyed while the last two, No. 23 and No. 27, were taken to Dahlgren Proving Grounds in Virginia, USA, for testing, arriving on 6 and 7 June 1946. Two slides for these guns were later delivered to Dahlgren on 7 May 1948. The guns and slides were reportedly cut up for scrap sometime during the 1950s. Two partially completed turntables intended for Shinano were also captured and later destroyed.
[NAVWEAPS]

There is much more to a naval gun that just the tube. In addition to the slide, you need a breech mechanism, a recoil mechanism and something very robust the mount the whole affair on. The guns were never tested at Dahlgren because they never got a mount or recoil system for them.

I remember seeing the two gun tubes rusting away at Dahlgren NPG in the 1980s, I don't think they even had breech rings.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,619 Posts
Incidentally, the two tubes were not cut up for scrap. You can still see them on Google maps at Dahlgren NSWC behind the gun line.
They measure ~68' long the pair just behind the gun line across from the 5-inch (127-mm) 62-caliber Mk 45 Mod 4 Naval Gun system?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
They measure ~68' long the pair just behind the gun line across from the 5-inch (127-mm) 62-caliber Mk 45 Mod 4 Naval Gun system?
They are the second longest pair of tubes, there is a single longer tube from a German railway gun in the same area.

Also interesting, they still have the 8"/55, Mark 71 MCLWG from the USS Hull on the line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts