M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on uneven ground here with scoping my M14. Bought an excellent condition Bassett on Ebay this week for $26. Is this an easy install?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes! And what a deal.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I'm on uneven ground here with scoping my M14. Bought an excellent condition Bassett on Ebay this week for $26. Is this an easy install?
Good price! Did you get the installation tool or instructions with it? It's a short wrench with a loop of cord on one end.
The Bassett website has a how-to section on how to use it to torque the mount bolt.
The important thing is to gradually tighten the bolt, making sure the mount features are nesting with the receiver features. Finger tight then torque to 22 inch pounds.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, no wrench. Good to hear how tight to make it. I do have torque wrenches here at home.

·
Registered
342 Posts
basset mount

i have one i bought 3 months ago at a gunshow without the wrench for $5.00 and it works like a dream.
bhk308

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can order just the wrench from them, it's $10.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 3/8" nut driver. Wonder how much torque 22 inch lbs would take with that? The wrench is $10 from Bassett but shipping puts it closer to $20.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Bassett

Good find indeed! If no wrench. get one from Bill Bassett. $10 Nice guy and the wrench is much handier than carrying a torque wrench with you. I think you'll like the mount. Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong, but you use the weight of the rifle while holding the wrench to get the right amount of torque.
It probably won't be that off, but if I remember correctly from physics, torque is directly related to the length of the tool. That is why Bassett's wrench is designed the way it is. They weight of the rifle x the length of his wrench is how you come up with the 22 in lbs. Be careful using a normal sized wrench as this may come out to over 22 in-lb, probably not much, but you may be suprised, as that is not a lot of torque to begin with.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Foxtrotters is correct, I went to pick my mount up personally from Mr. Bassett and he showed me how to do it on the spot. Use of the wrench, plus the weight of the rifle should equal 22 lbs. (starting from 90 deg)

When I asked him with a chuckle, "thats it?", he responded with "well hell, just how big a truck you wanna run this thing over with anyway?" lol. Heckuva guy.

Love my Bassett mount, 1500 rounds later, still holding strong.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bassett

think just spent $140 for a Bassett low mount. That was a goo deal. Mine is picantinney rail +wrench.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Well you guys convinced me. Just ordered a picatinny rail mount from BASSETT to put on my newer Armscorp rifle. Now I have to decide on a scope (and wait for the funds to build up) GI4

·
Registered
375 Posts
How does the "low" picatinny rail work with a 40mm objective scope with a 1" body? a 30mm body? How high & what rings should I use on 1" or the 30mm? I would like the setup to be scoped but quick remove to use irons if I have to & not use a cheek riser. I like the bassett mount but need to know what combos' work from guys who own this mount. Sorry, did not mean to steal the post. Dirty

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the "low" picatinny rail with a Redfield 4X12-40 and Weaver meduim rings.

·
Registered
359 Posts
low or high?

Bassett ad says low mount won't allow use of irons, your pic above shows there are exceptions. In general I like scope as low as possible. How'd you know your set up would work.I had the cheaper non-rail basset mount, worked great but I had to take iron sights off to use it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can't see out of my sights with the mount on the rifle. But with the sights set for 100 yards it doesn't hit the scope, barely. As for knowing if it would work, didn't just luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Why couldn't you just use higher rings?
The mount blocks the sights and I wanted it as low as I could get it. I got the "low" mount for that reason, the "high" mount allows use of the sights.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts