M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Bassett low Picatinny mount. When I installed the mount, I noticed that the inside edge was pressed against the handguard of my M1A rifle. The contact was enough to leave a mark on the paint on the handguard. I took the mount off and used a Dremel tool to relieve some of the edge to provide clearance from the handguard. This effort took less than five minutes and the inside edge of the mount no longer presses against the handguard.

The mount functions just fine and the marring of the paint job on the hand guard is minimal. I have been very happy with my Bassett mount. However, I would advise Bassett that on future production of their Picatinny mounts, the inside edge (The side facing the rifle's receiver) needs to be relieved to provide clearance from an M1A handguard. If they have access to a rifle, perhaps they can test the fit to ensure there is enough clearance. I have read of other people having such issues on the M14 Forum online. I sincerely believe a lot of M1A/M14 owners would be very pleased to not have to make such a modification.

The pictures below show the Dremel work I did. The red circles show the areas making contact. The green circle show what was relieved.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Yep mine did the same thing. I called basset and they told me that I could relieve some material ant if it still wasn't right that I could send it in for a new one. Removing material worked...

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
My Bassett also makes the slightest amount of contact, but left it as is and does not seem to create any problems accuracy wise or ability to fit to receiver. Would think couple strokes with fine file would solve the problem if felt necessary.

·
Registered
896 Posts
What kind of handguard are you using: USGI or something else?

I was dealing with this issue yesterday.

When I first installed the Bassett mount, I had a USGI vented handguard on the rifle. Mounting the Bassett with the vented handguard was no problem and there was no contact between them. I decided to take the vented handguard off to go out and shoot some rounds with the scope mount on (to avoid barrel heat issues). I put on the Springfield Armory handguard the rifle came with and I could not get the mount on without serious contact with the handguard. I had a non-vented USGI handguard also, so I put that one on and tried again. With the non-vented USGI, the fit was closer than the vented USGI, but no contact between the mount and handguard.

I almost put the Springfield handguard on again just to try it out one more time, but didn't bother. I do think the difference was the newer handguard metal was a good deal stiffer (and perhaps larger) than the USGI handguards. Could be wrong. Just using a visual test between the handguards all lined up next to each other, I couldn't really tell a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.