M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I dont have paypal and dont want to start it.Are their any distributors for bassett,or what are the odds of being able to get someone on the phone,and ordering one with credit card or money order.
I need a low regular mount desperately,my springfield crapped out and deer season is only a few weeks awayGI4

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I was able to talk to some one to check the availability of the low standard mount. I did order online. Call them and see.
Depending on the scope you have and the size of the bell, the low mount may be too low. they sell more of the standard high mounts than the low. I put a 2X20 Charles Daly pistol scope on my low mount. Just clears the rear sight aperture by a few MM. I can still use the open sights with the scope rings I got.
Great mounts, well made, and simple.
Glenn

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 3 scopes laying around,one might be a problem.Its like a hubble space telescope.The other two should clear,but for hunting I'm willing to commit to a scope.I can remove it between seasons,and get a lower scope height.I'm thinking it would give a more similar(consistant) cheek weld between the two.
How much higher is the cheek weld on the high mount?I want to get as low as possible.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Here are some pictures of my set-up on my Socom 16.

I do not have a high mount so I do not know the height difference. As you can see plenty of room up front, but depending on the length of your scope you may or may not clear the rear sight. Not a lot of adjustment either. Most folks here use the Picatinny style mount. Mine is the standard low mount.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Bassett

Since I dont have paypal and dont want to start it.Are their any distributors for bassett,or what are the odds of being able to get someone on the phone,and ordering one with credit card or money order.
I need a low regular mount desperately,my springfield crapped out and deer season is only a few weeks awayGI4
Bill Bassett will be happy to speak with you by phone, but prefers orders, on-line.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called today and talked to a nice lady.She gave me mr Bassett's cell # and I will be copying the order form and mailing it w/a money order hopefully by the end of the week,if no other major appliances crap outGI4

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Paypal is just a convenience for them. They will take MO's for sure. The low mount will work with almost any reasonable scope. I have two standard low mounts, both with 20moa of cant and I have mounted a Leupold 4.5-14x50 on my rifle using Leupolds Mark 4 rings of which the lowest is actually closer to medium. It does require you use a standard aperture rather than a hooded version. But you can do it. My current system is a Mark 4 3.5-10x40 M1 in those same Mark 4 rings on a low mount with 20moa of cant and it has resided on my NM M1A since nearly forever. I have a couple of other Bassett mounts with different ring and scope combinations that I use. I prefer the scope low and canted for longest range but a lot of knowledgeable other people don't agree.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My loaded has a standard aperature.For hunting around here 50mm will prob.be max.If I go larger they have the cool ones with a cut in the bottom for the barrel,if it fits the handguard.For 100 bucks,I can work around it for a few years.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
I just discovered a minor inconvenient problem with the standard low mount. The newer Leupold Mark 4 and VX3 scopes that are 30mm have a new larger eyepiece. This same eyepiece diameter is on the European 30mm scopes that are illuminated. With the low standard mount with cant, my 30mm Leupold Mark 4 rings and 30mm Weaver rings which are actually mediums will not allow the eye piece to clear a standard aperture.

I even went so far as to polish off the top the of the aperture and to trim some of the end that bottoms and hits inside the sight housing area and that was no help. So if you are planning on using one of those newer leupolds or an illuminated Leupold be aware you need a different Bassett mount.

The newer Picatinny low mount which Bill gave to my son to take to afghanistan when he deployed a year and a half ago and was still in his gear does actually allow those newer and illuminated Leupolds to clear with plenty to spare. So that may be the way to go. My older Mark 4's up to and including a 4.5-14x50 worked just fine on the low mount with the Mark 4 medium rings and cleared a standard aperture, though not a hooded one.

With the low picatinny the clearance looks like a hooded aperture might clear but I'm satisfied with the standard for my work with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts