M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Men, please help a failing memory? In basic at Ft. Leonard Wood in 1969 we trained w/ M-14 and qualified with long shots at knock down silhouette targets at distances beyond 100 yards. Do you remember what that distance was? 200 yds? 300 yds? I've been talking to my son and cannot recall how far those targets were? Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The qualification course was called "trainfire". The target set at 300 meters was the further one out. I recall the distances started at 50 meters and went to 300 meters...missed the short one and hit the long one!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
At Ft. Lewis in '67 we had them from 25m to 500m.DI2

Bob
III

Reactions: Sgt Nambu

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
At Ft. Lewis in '67 we had them from 25m to 500m.DI2

Bob
III
I took my basic at Ft. Lewis as well in 1969, with the M14's still. The ranges had not changed for us.DI5

·
Registered
226 Posts
Trainfire ranges at Fort Leonard Wood in '64 for the M14 were from 25 to 450 meters. I qualified Expert with the M14 in November of '64. That was the Army standard for trainfire ranges per the TM. They were the same at Fort Ord and Fort Lewis in the early/mid '60s. In the late '60s with the adoption of the M16A1 the ranges were shortened to 300 meters. I'm not sure when that was done at Fort Leonard Wood or Fort Lewis. Current "Trainfire" qualification ranges at Fort Lewis are 50 - 300 meters.

Larry Gibson

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Larry Gibson,

I didn't train on M16 till I was stationed at Ft. Sill Oklahoma in 1970, range I don't remember. But it was below freezing with 4-5" of snow on the ground in February I do remember that!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
66 at Ft Polk, 50-450m.

Pretty funny watching all the gunslinger stuff on History channel, etc making a big deal out of 500m with huge range finding and scope setups.

Naked eye becomes increasingly useless past 500, though, especially at 65.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I forgot. Trained with the M1 Garand. Maybe 200 yards max, since we had the Pacific ocean as a back drop and had to call check fire all the time because of the sailboats. Ft Ord, Cal, 1961.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Fort Lewis in late '67 with M14 we practiced at 50m IIRC, 150m & 250m. Qualification day had us at 300m instead of 250. The short-range tagets were just head&shoulders simulating prone soldiers.GI2

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ft. Leonard Wood, 1987, M16, (2) 50m for nearest, (1) 300m for farthest.

You could miss all 300m targets and still qualify Expert.

·
Banned
937 Posts
Fort Ord, CA

I forgot. Trained with the M1 Garand. Maybe 200 yards max, since we had the Pacific ocean as a back drop and had to call check fire all the time because of the sailboats. Ft Ord, Cal, 1961.
That sounds like Beach Range 8??

kinda' right accross the highway from the main gate right to the NW??

If that is where you are talking about??? It is/was a great range until late in the day. If you were on the last relay at 600 yards on the upper line you were toast, looking right into the setting sun. It probably has Condos all over it right now...? NO!!! I just checked Bing.com maps, all the ranges south of Beach Range 8 are still open but sadly over grown and emptyRNGR4

I shot several 6th Army Area FORSCOM matches there in the early 80's. I got my first leg there too, an 8 pointer. Man could it rain like a Salty Dog at times, WHEW!!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just want to say thank you for your service to all you guys that served back then! WW2, Korean War, Vietnam War, and Persian Gulf War Veterans have always been my heroes and the major influence of why I joined. If I see someone wearing those Veteran hats(the black ones with yellow print) I go out of my way to thank them and listen to a story or two if we have time. Thanked a Veteran that served in WW2 and Korea a couple weeks ago on Hampton Beach in New Hampshire. Didn't mean to side track the thread, but I had to post this...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Fort Gordon, GA 1966. 25 to 400 meters...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts