M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few days ago an old Army buddy and I were talking about the M14, since we both were trained on it in Basic. I seemed to remember that the range we fired on was in Meters and he thought it was in Yards. Seems like the targets for qualification were only out to 400 meters/yards.

Does anyone remember Meters/Yards; 400/500 Y/M?
DI5

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
A few days ago an old Army buddy and I were talking about the M14, since we both were trained on it in Basic. I seemed to remember that the range we fired on was in Meters and he thought it was in Yards. Seems like the targets for qualification were only out to 400 meters/yards.

Does anyone remember Meters/Yards; 400/500 Y/M?
DI5
1 yard = 36 inches, 1 meter = 39.37 inches...SO...
100 meters = 109 yards, 400 meters = 437 yards.
Close, but not the same. Up close, there isn't much difference, it's when you shoot at LONG range that it matters.
NASA missed Mars a few years back because part of their navigation software was in metric units, part in English.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The conversation wasn't about distance, it was about memory. Neither one of us could remember if Benning's rifle range was in yards or meters or how far the farthest targets were located.
DI5

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I did BT there in 1968, also with the M14. IIRC yardage was in yards. I only say that because I distinctly remember a big ol' bad a$$ DI that fired off hand at a target while we were on the line, just to impress us, and I'm sure he said it was either 400 yards or 500 yards - I remember it as 500 yards. That has stuck with me all these years.....(at least that's how my memory recalls it now) GI1

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that's two votes for yards and my meager vote for meters. DI5

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did BCT. at Ft. Gordon in 1967. The range was measured in "meters". We started on 25 meters for "zero" and then moved to "KD" range which was, I believe, 50 meters 75 meters and 100 meters. Then we fired on a range that varied from 25 meters up to around either 400 or 500 meters. The record range was around 50 to 100 meters with "pop up" targets that were supposed to be hidden in the bush and trees. However, they had been shot at so many times that there were easily recognized trails or paths going to each target. Night Fire and Night Record were on 25 and 50 meter distances as I recall. I loved my issue M-14. It was a very accurate weapon. I got to qualify with one that had the full auto selector switch while in AIT. That thing was awesome.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Is the distance 400 or 500 meters?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re:

Ft. Benning class of 87. It was in meters (G** D** nato bunch of horse hockey, grumble grumble) when I was there.

We were Hooah, before it was cool.
CIB3

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fort Lost in the Woods..missery

basic....1970...seems to me the distance was meters (400) to the targets in qualifying (the far targets)...

Oh how I wish I could hold my qualifying M14 one more time!!!!

ARMY1

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Well, I'm beginning to see my memory is as bad as my eyesight now - meters it is! Here is how I can confirm this....look what I dug out of the book shelf.....

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. Memory can play tricks on one after the years have passed. Ours was 8 rounds, lock and load.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts