M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, the rifle is a 1995 SAI standard that came in a synthetic stock. I found a new boyd's walnut stock for pennies on the dollar. The unit fit into the wood without any problems.

Here is the issue. The stock is refinished (but can be redone). I have a ferrule on the front of the stock. I can put the barrel/receiver into the stock (without the liner) and I have relieved it as much as I believe is necessary. When I put the trigger mechanism into the receiver it does not want to lock down. You can see gap about 1/16 inch from where it should be bottoming out in the receiver slot. I have also relieved underneath where the trigger mech sits. If I pull the trigger the firing pin will not move completely forward and hit the bolt. If I remove the barrel assembly and hold the trigger mech in place and release the trigger it will fall forward like it is supposed to, and you can look at the trigger mechanism from the top and see that it is not hitting anywhere on the wood.

BUT - where is it hitting so that the trigger mech will not close. I cannot see anyplace. I hope I haven't relieved the stock to much - I have used a file to relieve it slowly so the amount taken off top and bottom of the stock would be around 1/16. It is not hitting in the stock that I can tell.

Suggestions - help I hope I haven't gone to far. I didn't have any type of marking media so I have been going by feel.

KS Shooter

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Check where your stock liner is in relationship to the receiver and trigger group.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,

I took the stock liner when I saw it was hitting (and decided to leave it out until I was finished removing any excess wood) and then removed a small burr on the liner. If it isn't used on a synthetic stock, not having it in there shouldn't keep the trigger mechanism from locking up, correct?

KS Shooter

·
Registered
12 Posts
lock up problems

John,
I had bought a walnut replacement from boyds and had the same problem. The stock was a nice stock and finished and inletted very well. Mine would not lockup, and I kept looking and found a problem in the forearm area. The gas system was hitting not allowing it to come down far enough in the back for lockup. I sanded a little and it solved the problem. Rublehatch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts