M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much heavier is a 22" medium weight contour than a 22" USGI contour barrel? Specifically Criterion, but I guess a Sako medium weight would work for comparison. Looked at Criterion's website but they didn't have the specs.

Just talked to Mark at JRA and he has my complete rifle build ready to ship. He used a medium contour Criterion instead of a USGI contour Criterion. I'd rather have the lighter contour but that may be all that was available in a 22" configuration right now (I didn't ask). It's not THAT much heavier, is it?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, found a few older threads here and it seems the medium contour adds about a pound.

Does anyone have both a USGI and a medium contour on weapons? I'd like to know if the medium weight is still practical to hunt or hump with. I'm not interested in shooting matches so it's primary role would be as a *possible* go-to gun. I don't want a "crew served weapon" for that role!

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
With SAI rifles, the difference between a Standard and Loaded is only half a pound. The loaded has an intermediate weight barrel.

I use the Loaded model, as 8 ounces is barely noticeable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts