M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious to know if the JAE-100 barrel tensioner was designed to work with unitized gas cylinders, or standard non-unitized cylinders.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I am certainly no expert by any means, however, if you are investing that much money in a JAE stock, invest a much lesser amount in accuracy to go with it. The purpose of unitizing the gas cylinder is to strengthen/stiffen the barrel to stabilize it under load, thus aiding in tightening groups.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I understand, the barrel tensioner pulls the barrel band down, doing the same thing. Would having a unitized gas cylinder defeat the purpose of the tensioner?

I get the feeling that if a gas cylinder was screwed together, and was used in conjunction with the barrel tensioner that it might get damaged.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,101 Posts
Relationships

The JAE barrel tensioner works with either standard or unitized gas cylinder assemblies. However, best results are obtained with a unitized system since tensioning alone will not prevent the barrel band from moving about, which is detrimental to accuracy. The advantage of the tensioner is that it allows adjustment to the amount of tension being applied to the barrel. Some rifles require more than others for best accuracy, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts