M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Springfield M1a Loaded with a Wilson NM heavy weight .308 stainless barrel, It also has a over sized NM walnut stock, I believe to be commercial not military. My question is how tight should the stock & Ferrel lock up to the front tentioner? I can squeeze the front stock and barrel shroud together and see about a 1/16 of an inch movement between the Ferrel and the tentioner. The front of the stock actually compresses to the barrel shroud. Is this normal or should it be tight with no movement ?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The movement is normal, intended, with a glass-bedded M14-type rifle. The idea is for the lip of the barrel band against the stock ferrule to maintain consistent pull ("draw") of the barrel. What you did - squeeze and release - is how you check it. It also shows the ferrule and stock have clearance on the inside from the gas cylinder.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
The movement is normal, intended, with a glass-bedded M14-type rifle. The idea is for the lip of the barrel band against the stock ferrule to maintain consistent pull ("draw") of the barrel. What you did - squeeze and release - is how you check it. It also shows the ferrule and stock have clearance on the inside from the gas cylinder.
A Big +1....what he said !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your response guys.
It sounds to me like what you said is that I have a properly fitted stock, is that correct ?? GI2

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Thank you for your response guys.
It sounds to me like what you said is that I have a properly fitted stock, is that correct ?? GI2
Probably so, as far as the front end goes. If it's good there it'd imply good bedding at the receiver and trigger group as well. Only way to really tell is to grease it up and shoot the daylights out of it.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Also while you're up there toward the front of the weapon, make sure that the front band the stock fits into on the barrel is not loose. If it is, you need to get some stainless barrel shims to take up the slack. This procedure will also properly align the hole in the gas tube assembly with the gas port in the bottom of the barrel. Fulton Armory has them for $9.95 for a set of three. I know because I just had to shim the barrel on my M-14/S to take out the slack and I purchased my shims from Fulton.

7th

·
Registered
3 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but, where do the shims go? I've read and I believe I understand their need and function but nowhere have I seen where to put them. Do they go between the GS and the GS lock?

Thanks for all the great advice and knowledge.

Jon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you. A picture is worth a thousand words! Great and colurteous help around here.

And my post above should read "the GC and GC lock." Duh.

Jon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts