M14 Forum banner

Barrel Tension

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  smoothy8500 
#1 ·
Is there any way to achieve the proper barrel tension between the ferrule and front band other than glass bedding the action? I have an SA Scout in a walnut stock.

#3 ·
You can try shims cut from aluminum beverage can - about 1 inch long placed between the stock and 'rails' on both sides of the breech end of the receiver.
The idea is to tilt the chamber end of the receiver slightly upwards, so that as the trigger guard is closed it pulls the heel of the receiver into hard contact with the stock.

That might to helpful to show if it gives better accuracy.
Doing epoxy bedding is the 'real answer'.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

#5 ·
I had a old timer tell me about gluing strips of paper to the stock under the front rails to add tension to M1 Garand's, I am trying it with playing cards under the receiver rails but I don't get out shooting very often.

Casey

#11 ·
I have used the aluminum tape and it holds up well for the rounds I put through mine. I don't have a test of hundreds of rounds though. I've also used the tape on the trigger housing to tighten lockup.

#16 ·
I tried using shims made of HVAC aluminum tape and it worked, sort of. Not sure that I got enough barrel tension, but it was improved. It took several rounds for things to settle in with shifting POI during the shooting session. I may redo with aluminum shims from a can and see if it is any more stable. Of course I'll bed it properly some where down the line. There are a lot of other things to do to the gun, such as shim the gas cylinder first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.