M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a polytech reciever, original plan was to barrel it with a GI SA (0ld 8-67) new barrel that has been sitting around in my shop 30 years waiting for a reciever. I have a current non GI Springfeild (scoped) that shoots 1-3/4 inch groups with Black Hills 168g ammo. I have not done anything to this rifle other than change the recoils spring and guide rod. Now I am thinking about putting the GI barrel on the springfeild and a Krieger on the polytech. Is it likely I will get better groups with the GI barrel on the springfeild? Would it be better to put the Krieger on the Springfeild and the GI on the polytech or does it really not make any difference? If I were to sell the polytech is it more desirable with the GI barrel or the Krieger?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
What barrel is on the SAI rifle now,seems to be shooting fairly well,as far as the polytech receiver it's gonna be a good build with either of the barrels you use,if I was you I would ask myself what I wanted out of your next build.If your looking for a long g range rifle then yes use the Krieger as it will outperform the GI no matter which receiver you put it on.
Keep the SAI rifle together for now,you can always do another barrel swap on it later,plus there's no guarantee if you put the GI SA barrel on the SAI that your bolt is gonna headspace to that barrel.
So I guess its all in what ya want out of the rifle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the SAI reciever has the standard SAI barrel. I bought the SAI on a whim, shot a few rounds with open sights then put it away. I then came across a Fulton stripped new lower so I sent it off to Fulton with the SA GI barrel but they could not headspace it because their early recievers were not designed for chrome lined barrels. I had an 18 inch criterion bbl installed with all other parts GI on the Fulton reciever. Then scoped the SAI and found that it was a good shooter without any mods and began taking interest in building a more accurate rifle if possible so I bought the Polytech, stripped it and acquired all GI parts to put together with the GI barrel. that stalled out and I started researching what I could get accuracy wise with other barrels. So I definitely want to build a match grade barrel type gun. Still learning and researching. The SA GI barrel has been waiting 30 years for me to find it a mate but now with the hankering for accuracy and not just a standard M1A, I am weighing options. Another possibility is to sell the GI barrel or buy another reciever and finish that project after the Krieger project. I am spending a lot of time reading on this board and wanted input. So all that said, ideally I want a 1 inch or less 5 shot group out of my gun, whatever that may be. Now I also think I want a SOCOM for range fun not serious shooting. I have generally been in heavy with Full Auto stuff and not paid much attention to the accuracy end of the equation but I am really enjoying these rifles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.