M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of barrels i would like to remove from my M1A SA receivers.Can someone tell me what action wrenches to purchase.I would like to know also if it will work for the garand as well.Thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
Get the M1A receiver wrench from Brownells... They make some nice barrel vises too....

Now, why are you removing barrels? Are you putting new ones on? Do you know what kind of world you are about to step into....? Its not even close to "twist off, twist on"...

Do some research about rebarrelling an M14, and all the things that go with it....

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
From brownells
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=934/Product/BARREL_VISE
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25116/Product/M14_M1A_M1_GARAND_RIFLE_ACTION_WRENCH___HEAD

You can also use a really big cresent wrench. Also what I used to call a monkey wrench if it is large enough and in good enough shape. If you use these type tools wrong you can cause permanent damage and/or ruin a reciever. Holding the barrel without marking it takes a little more inovation. I think someone said they used wooden v-blocks and large c-clamps.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Just get a big cresent wrench for the reciever and I got my barrel vise from a guy on gunbroker that makes them. They are cheaper than brownells and it comes with different bushings

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
This is the set I've made to use based loosely on commercial varieties but beefed up quite a bit.I use the vice on every firearm I build having made quite a few different split bushings to fit each barrel design.

I use this wrench for both M14 and M1 garand barreling,heavy made over two feet long and machined to fit the actions tight.I use the thin rubberized advertising magnets for liner between barrel and bushing and liberally coat each part with violin rosin.

·
Registered
236 Posts
tools for assembly

I know of a guy that used his carpenter tools and a picnic table.
The gun shoots less than moa, go figure.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I used the barrel vice and action wrench sold by Midway and it worked well for my Garand rebarrel.

Barrel vice uses oak blocks and while many reviews gripe that they slip it grabs just fine if you engage the barrel where has different diameter for top and bottom. The ledge gives good grip, and I used rosin. You get blocks of different hole diameters. I used a big dia for bottom, small dia for top.

The action wrench doesn't come with a handle so I made one from heavy 1" square tubing. Wrench has burrs that MUST be removed or you'll scuff your receiver. I recognized this, fixed it, and my receiver was unmarked by the wrench.

Chilly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts