M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I fire my M1A, the barrel below the flash suppressor but above the stock get a light coat of rust, no matter what I do it always comes back after I get done shooting, any fixes or help I can get to get rid of this problem would be helpful.

·
Registered
170 Posts
if this is happening while you shoot, and it is dry outsife, that is not rust.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
delloro said:
if this is happening while you shoot, and it is dry outsife, that is not rust.
it is happening while I shoot both inside or outside, and only happens when I am shooting, it sure does look like rust to me, and it is only a surface rust, the kind you can take off with a crocus cloth, have not done that yet since I would like to know what it is before I do that.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
I would try just rubbing in some light oil with 0000 steel wool. It could be very fine pitting on the surface that gets invisable with an oil rag. The heat from barrel may be drying out the oil and showing the rust again. You may want to try different oil. Good ol'e 3 in 1 worked good for me the past 40 or so years. Some of the new super lubes you pay an arm in a leg for just ain't all that IMO.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Elric said:
delloro said:
if this is happening while you shoot, and it is dry outside, that is not rust.
it is happening while I shoot both inside or outside, and only happens when I am shooting, it sure does look like rust to me, and it is only a surface rust, the kind you can take off with a crocus cloth, have not done that yet since I would like to know what it is before I do that.
by "while you shoot" I meant that the rust developes in a matter of hours, and by "dry outside" I meant not very humid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.