M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Well, it appears to be a USGI barrel, standard chrome lined, made as a replacement part and not installed on a new M14 rifle from the factory.

It appears to have been heavily sandblasted and refinished, enough to make the markings hard to read.

7790190 is the part number for a standard chrome lined barrel, 10 63 means the barrel was manufactured in Oct 1963.

Not visible in the pics, to the left of the 7790190 marking, there should be another stamped code that would indicate the manufacturer.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The numbers showing in the first picture is the part number, date of manufacture, and material lot. The manufacturer’s ID is usually stamped just prior to this.
JMPWNG2

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like there is the remnants of a number 7 to the left. The manufacturer's name is conspicuously missing. Maybe sandblasted off, maybe a light strike?

Anyway, I was just wondering if there was any other way to determine manufacturer, such as did a given manufacturer make barrels in October of 1963 or did they all make them then?

Thanks for the replies so far. GI5

·
Registered
266 Posts
it looks like a BP there at the end of the markings???

·
Registered
109 Posts
The roll mark looks like a TRW, the font used by SA, Winchester and H&R look nothing like this

SA are unique, not really rolled straight and the ones i've seen have a F infornt of the drawing code. And some do have B_ lots codes but are followed but a 2 digit number.

Winchester always have tack marks between the lettering, very unique.

H&R would be closest, no tacks but never a B_ lot code and they're 9's aren't the same.

TRW have no tack marks and always have a B_ letter lot code.

SAK has tack marks and number lot codes.

Best guess, a non marked TRW? Saw a thread on here a while back with the same thing though, looked exactly the same. Its definitely been blasted but the how could it have blasted off just the TRW part, they're roll marked as one line? Any ideas?

·
Registered
109 Posts
It could be SA, TRW, H-R, or Winchester...

http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=47131

Can you see any traces at all?
Nope, the roll mark looks like a TRW, it is most definitely not a SA or Winchester, they look nothing like this:

SA are unique, not really rolled straight and the ones i've seen have a F infornt of the drawing code. And some do have B_ lots codes but are followed but a 2 digit number.

Winchester always have tack marks between the lettering, very unique. And have the WP proof.

H&R would be closest, no tacks but never a B_ lot code and they're 9's aren't the same.

TRW have no tack marks and always have a B_ letter lot code.

SAK has tack marks and number lot codes.

Best guess, a non marked TRW? Saw a thread on here a while back with the same thing though, looked exactly the same. Its definitely been blasted but the how could it have blasted off just the TRW part, they're roll marked as one line? Any ideas?

·
Registered
406 Posts
It do look like a TRW to me, but I may be mistaken. I hope others more knowledgeable that me will chime in. Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts