M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first ofical posts, I'm glad I found you guys and in the future I hope to be of help but at the moment I need your help. While replacing the hand guard on my new national match M1a I decided to examine the markings after reading up on the history of TRW. I was quite surprised to find the firs part of it was ground down. I asked my friend whom I got it from and he was unaware and had not noticed. He did tell me that his father built it for his birthday in 1983 so that's all we know so far. He is going to try and track down the receipt, until then you guys have any idea what's up with my barrel?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Just saying....

Ask yourself why someone would do this.
I would speculate that it is a SGW barrel with the "SGW" ground off.

·
Administrator
17,747 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,427 Posts
Sir, I suspect the reason that the marker mark was ground off was to keep a potential buyer from knowing who made the barrel. There was an issue with these barrels, soft steel used or something and most were recalled and destroyed.

There are some for sale on GB, but so far no takers as these are suspect barrels!

RenGI2

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
M14 was what was ground off. A simple Google search for the cage code 20084 gave me that answer from Different from this forum. That info may have changed since it was posted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW, thanks you guy I had no idea. I have an extra TRW barrel I was going to sell but I will mount it instead, fortunately I have all of the proper tools. I am shocked to find this out though. Like I said I know the kind of work that the man who made this rifle was known for, and I can't believe he would use an infearear barrel on the rifle he made for his sons birthday.

Never the less for safty sake I will replace it. Thanks again for your help you may have saved me more than money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts