M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest Midway gunsmithing tools catalog (334G) lists, on page 168, replacement barrels for the M1 and M1A. The description for Krieger M1 Garands notes that the gas port is properly located down in a groove, not up on a land, or worse, right on the half-ways position, creating a sharp cutting edge!

Question: is this a standard of all gas-port locations on M1s and M1As, or just on higher-quality bbl's ? I can't imagine the port being OK in what would obviously be the wrong location!

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,825 Posts
Gas Port Location

Most armorers dealing with NM weapons always insisted the gas port being located in a grove was important to accuracy. I don't know of any studies supporting this assumption, but it's something I tend to go along with. On the other hand, NM armorers who work on the M16/AR15 system claim there is no difference in accuracy if the gas port is in a land in 5.56 mm barrels. Of course, it's also more difficult to get the port in a groove of the smaller bore.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go for it!

Seems like that would require some tricky port position "clock" timing to be sure. With a good CNC machining operation and a CNC lathe, I assume you could "start" your bbl threads, and shoulder position, to exactly time the gas port hole to it's correct axial and radial locators. You might have some for-and-aft positional latitude and allowable variation, by a few thou/ or so, if the port hole diameter is a lot smaller than the width of your groove. Quite a trick, but I'd probably want it there if I had my 'drothers.

But after all, that position does make good sense, right? Out of the way, so to speak. And it would resist or limit the eventual deposition of jacket-guilding materials from shaving off the bullet in micro-amounts and then ending up down in the port opening. Yes? No?

(I think I worry too much about "micro-amounts" of stuff! GI3)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.