M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much a noob here, love shooting the m1a and have decided to try it out on a hunt. After doing some research I have decided to go with Barnes 168 ttsx for elk/deer in fairly wooded areas where 300 yards would be the longest shot I can imagine. I'll be shooting out of standard m1a. Have been loading up SMK 168 with IMR 4895 with CCI 34 primers and win brass, so would like to use what I have on hand if appropriate, if not let me know.

Would love to hear about any loads people have experience with, with measurements as able. I haven't bought bullets yet, so open to suggestions if you feel there is a better option. Thanks in advance.

By the way, while I have never posted I have learned tons from reading through posts so thanks to all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if no one has any specific experience with this, are there any foreseeable issues with using these components together and working up a load similar to the process I used with the SMK's? (pretty new to reloading process too obviously) thanks.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'm no fan of Barnes bullets.

I nearly lost a doe to a Barnes 165 molycoated X bullet. made a 75 yd perfect behind shoulder shot on a 80 # doe. she ran off like I never even hit her. I bolted the rifle as she ran away from me down the pipeline/highline right away. my 2nd shot at 200 yds took out her front leg she flipped end over end and was down for the count. My first shot didn't expand at all but hit the heart. if she would of ran into the woods instead of down the open area I would of thought I missed as there was no blood trail. she ran in a little dry ditch on the side of the highline. found her prints but no blood. I swore off Barnes since then. it was shot from a 308 rem. 700 heavy bbl. I will admit this was the first year Barnes came out with the Moly coated X and I read all the articles praising them so I had to try them. note they were accurate just didn't expand. they may have improved with ttsx but I don't have confidence in them.

I have tried the Sierra game king and it is accurate almost as good as the SMK. however they shed their jackets. even in the small deer we have. most of the deer I have killed, fell to the 165gr gameking, but I shot most in the neck as they were so accurate. I recovered several jackets and few bullets that didn't go all the way through and they lost considerable weight.
the only bulllet I have seen perform like it is touted is the Nosler partition. perfect expansion. but they are not as accurate as the gamekings. the Partition is my go to bullet for my 308 (150gr) and my 300 ultra mag (180 gr).

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The Tipped Triple Shocks will drop them quick. I have used the same load you mentioned on 2 Antelope at 200 yards and have never had to chase one. Or shoot them more than once. Both times they left a big exit wound and permanent wound cavity. As far as the non tipped Barnes bullets, I'm not really a fan of them. I would imagine they are good for a good sized bull Elk. More time to expand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts