M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished Stephen Hunter's latest book and the FG42 is one of the featured weapons. Hunter also wrote an article in the American Rifleman about the weapon a couple of months ago. So let's say you won the lotto or happened to have 5 grand laying around what would you buy? A semi auto BAR or a semi auto FG42? Looks like both can be had.

As I see it the FG42 looks cooler but it might be hard to find parts for it since it is a ground up new gun (check out SMG Guns). I beileve the OOW BARs are built using some surplus parts. You can get the FG42 in .308 so if you have an M14 (doesn't everybody) no need for another caliber. Magazines for the .308 FG42 are a combo of M14 and G3 mags (takes two mags to make one FG42 mag). I think that BAR mags are pretty easy to get. I don't know how the FG42 handles with the mag sticking out of the left side of the receiver. The FG42 is lighter than the BAR.

Either will get you a lot of looks when you take it to the range.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It's so funny to watch poor people banter about which poor people rifle they would like to buy. Go heavy or go home gentlemen. I plan on picking up this little gem from Rock Island in September. Don't worry, I'll post pics.

And since I'm sure to have some cash left over, I might as well get this one too. Just to rub it in!

DI2

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Okay, I knew somebody would bust my chops for calling it an M14. Change to read: "M14-type rifle." GI2
I was hoping for a ride in the way, way back machine. I guess I will have too keep working on mine. I haven't figured out the flux capacitor dealbob, but I'm getting closer I think?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I was close to a FG42. Until my daughter decides to buy a house.
Wolf

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
The FG42 is way out there on the cool scale but I don't get their business model. They go thru all that trouble to tool up then price them at $4000- $5000. How many do they expect to sell at that price.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
It's so funny to watch poor people banter about which poor people rifle they would like to buy. Go heavy or go home gentlemen. I plan on picking up this little gem from Rock Island in September. Don't worry, I'll post pics.

And since I'm sure to have some cash left over, I might as well get this one too. Just to rub it in!

DI2
Brother, you've got pockets that reach the floor ! GI3GI3GI3 I am only bidding on Hi-Powers, a 1941 Johnson barrel and the Semi M60.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I also read the article about the FG-42 in American Rifleman.

Cool piece of equipment but I've lusted after BAR's my whole life.

So....I'd have to choose the BAR.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.