M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to spring for a Ohio Ordnance Works BAR. I'm wondering if anybody has had any experiance with the new manufacter 20 round magazines they sell. If so what about fit, function, well constructed ect?
I see they also have used USGI mags too. They cost less but are they reliable?
I know little about a BAR so I'm running in the dark here.
Also I found mags at BMG Parts. They are considerably higher priced. Their choices are blued WWII and parkerized WWII. Have the parkerized versions been refinished or are they original USGI?
Anyone know of other sources for mags? Sarco comes to mind and I will give them a call when I get time.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

I received my NIB OOW BAR about a year ago. It came with 2 new manufacture mags and I purchased a 10 pack of used USGI at the same time. So far, all the used ones I've tried (not all of them yet) have been 100%. The two new ones each have problems that I'm trying to work out. One won't feed the last round, regardless of how many were ahead of it. The other one has more serious feed related issues and I've put that one aside for now. I've not figured out what is causing the problems yet.

I'm considering buying more mags and will definitely go for another pack of the used versions; OOW has a better price than I've found at gun shows. The finish is different between them. The old ones are blued and vary from almost new to kind of funky, but so far so good. The new ones are a phosphated finish just like the rifle, but seem to have some issues.

Best of luck with your BAR; I'll do my best to answer any questions you come up with. BTW, IMO the OOW manual is very minimal and not near complete enough. I bought the BAR "base shop data" manual from:

www.machinegunbooks.com

It's been VERY helpful.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim, that's just what I needed to know. That has saved me a lot of money and aggravation. And I appreciate your offer of help.
I'll get the book you recommend. I've never field stripped one of these so I'm in for an education.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Just in case you need any BAR magazines. Bassett Machine and Tool of Bassett scope mount fame has GI BAR mags by the crate full. Some parked some blued and some have some rust on them but they are all GI and a lot of them are Seymour marked SEY. When I was in his shop and we were looking for something else we stumbled on them. He probably knew he had them but maybe not where they were. If you need some give him a call. His phone is on his website I think.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Thanks much for the tip on another mag supplier; I'll give them a call.

BTW, the latest OOW catalog shows used price at $15/ea, but no longer has the 10 packs listed. The new ones are $25 (20 round) the new 10 and 15 round mags are much more expensive. Guess they may be running low on the supply of used mags.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info flintsghost. I've been in contact with Bill about getting some mags headed my way.
I also ordered some of the used USGI mags from Ohio Ordnance Works.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Manual

I've been busy but I got around to ordering the shop manual today Jim. I'm looking forward to it. I also deal with the 1919 so it should come in very handy.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
RE: BAR mags and manuals

Greetings,

Glad you got the manual on the way; it will help for sure. Couple of points though................. I've only had my BAR for about a year and had it out about 6 times. So last week I did a full take down to really clean and lube well. I hadn't had it that far down since I first got it, so my memory was kind of lacking (and I didn't take good note the first time). Ended up having difficulty getting it back together and was referring between 3 manuals. OOW (having changed some components) uses different terminology than the GI books do (and some of the part are actually different as well), so that added to my confusion.

I ended up getting very frustrated and emailed OOW asking if they could supply me with a full diagram that shows all the parts with their names. They responded the next day and said they do NOT have such a diagram! Also said they are working on a CD that will go through the process, but had nothing at this point. I decided to bag it for the day since things weren't getting any better (my best idea yet).

The next day I started with a fresh outlook, and was able to get it together rather easily. I then took it apart again and photographed the process. When I have some time, I'll put the photos up on my web site and can send you a link. I also made sure to put notes in my manuals.

OOW does not want the FCG disassembled and shows no details on it at all. It is quite different from the GI version, so that drawing was only partially helpful. I ended up doing it anyway as the trigger pull is pretty bad IMO. Well, a couple of sprung parts went into orbit! I got very lucky and found them. My suggestion would be to not disassemble the FCG unless really neccessary and if you do, to put a bag over it first. I have some other tips as well that I'll try to put up along with the photos.

I'm a little bit ticked at OOW regarding the lack of documentation..............these rifles are going for $4000 now and for that kind of money, I think a *really good* manual should be standard issue.

Again, best of luck when yours arrives, shoot me a mail if I can help in any way.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim it sounds like you had quite a tussle with the old gun. I'm sure I will too when the time comes. I can see where having non-USGI parts/workings and trying to make heads or tales of it in 3 manuals could be a pain.
I guess I better be making notes and drawings, and taking pictures as I go.
A fellow forum member told me that they measured in excess of 12# trigger pull on one of these. I would think OOW could do better than that. It's not a target gun, but come on, 12# is just too much.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Manuals

For additional information, TM9-1005-208-12 and TM9-1005-208-35 are the best maintinance and depot manuals on the 1918A2 to have. You can download them for free, in a PDF file from the internet. Save the files to your hard drive or print them out for use. Preface the addresses below with http//www. as the forum won't let me post URL addresses yet.

kmike.com/BAR/TM9-1005-208-12.pdf

kmike.com/BAR/TM9-1005-208-35.pdf

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

John, thanks much for the TM links!

M2API, I did indeed have a lot of problems; guess it was my fault to a degree for not taking good notes the first time I had the rifle down. I do put part of it on OOW though for the poor documentation, but that's beyond my control.

Yes, trigger is AWFUL! Feels like a single stage with very heavy, mushy/gritty pull. I don't know if the original BAR had a standard mil 2 stage or not? I've been thinking about how to make this trigger better, but no real ideas yet other than some polishing (I was happy just to get it all back together this time!).

FYI.................dis-assembly of the FCG is difficult! The first part to be aware of is when removing the ejector, under it are a pair of springs; one for the mag release button and the other the actual ejector retainer assembly (these parts do match the GI drawings). These are also the parts that went into orbit. I feel very lucky to have found them all.

Next part was more difficult. Wanting to lube the trigger/sear interface, I had to remove the ***

(well here is a terminology problem. The OOW FCG differs enough from the GI unit that I'm not sure what to call some parts; in "standard" terms; I'd call this one the HAMMER; OOW has no name for it that I could find). When the action is cocked, upon release this part rotates forward under spring tension to eventually cause a strike to the firing pin, via several other components.)

It sure came out easy enough; but re-installing was very hard. The spring is *quite* stout! I had to place the FCG assembly in a vice then use a screw driver to get enough leverage to get it back in, while using a punch for pin alignment. This was very inelegant and I'm sure there has to be a better method.

I doubt this all makes much sense without a picture of some kind to reference, but I just wanted to make you aware of some potential issues you may encounter. I'll try to get the pix up on my web page with some descriptions in the next week or so.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John thanks for the links. That will be my next stop tonight. Do you have an Ohio Ordnance BAR?

Jim it sounds like a real task getting the FCG apart then back together. I'm very leery of changing anything on a trigger/sear interface other than some polishing. Maybe we'll find someone who knows how to do a trigger job on one of these.

The gun is supposed to ship in December.

I received the magazines from Bassett's and they are nice! Thank you Bill!!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Hi M2API, well my initial thought were just a really good polish job between those parts; that is about the extent of how far I'd go without some professional input. Perhaps someone out there will chime in with tips; I kind of doubt OOW would offer any, but I may go ahead and ask. I'm also trying to figure out a better way to re-assemble it. May need to build up some kind of jig or fixture to assist the job. It was very difficult to get enough leverage against he spring to get it back together.

I sent a few emails to Bassets about the mags, but no replies. How did you reach them? I didn't see these listed on the web site.

Regards, Jim

PS..............to see some before and after pix, check out:

http://www.analogbros.com/private/Fire Arms/BAR at BV/

Look at the difference between the ones labeled V1 vs V2. Still a "work in progress", with quite a bit more to go.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd say my best bet is to not tackle that FCG until I've gotten very familiar with the gun.

I called Bassett Machine @ 512-858-4441. They are in Texas.
They did not have all that many BAR mags when I called. 57 comes to mind. They may be out by now.
I believe they stay pretty busy working in the shop.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to play with an M1918A2 at our 200 yard range and am hooked! What an awesome rifle!

While surfing around I found this site that claims it has WWI NOS USGI mags for $35. I find it a hard pill to swallow that they are WWI examples, but the color case hardened followers are pretty! I would suspect the case hardening wears off after a few rounds.

http://wardogmilitaria.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=45&products_id=3066

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought several BAR magazines from Ohio Ordnance Works and had problems with just a few of them. It was a simple matter of calling them, then sending the defective mags back to them, and within a matter of a few days I received some very nice replacements from them.
I have done business with OOW a number of times and I have always been very satisfied. They are a great group of people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts